Chapter 1: The Secret Spot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Meet me at the secret spot in 10?" Ben messaged me.

A broad smile spread across my lips.

"See you soon ;)" I replied.

Ben was my best friend. Tall, tan, muscular, and had just the right smile.

"Sky! What are your plans for the day?" my mother yelled up the stairs.

"I'm meeting Ben soon!" I called back.

I'm Sky. Short, curvy, and very pale. My hair is to my shoulders and my eyes are the color of storm clouds. I'm often told that I'm nothing like my family.

"Alright, drive safe sweetheart!" She yelled back.

Me and Ben were attached at the hip. Inseperable, some might suggest, but wheres the fun in being alone?

Melissa always teased me when I was around Ben. She knew I liked him and made it quite obvious, and very embarassing, at times.

Melissa was my other best friend. A bit shorter than me, medium length hair, and eyes as bright as the ocean on a sunny day.

A small little fact about Melissa, shes a wolf. After a few years of us being friends I found out. Her family joined a local pack when they moved here years ago.

The only advantages she has over me is speed and the ability to eat a whole meal in thirty seconds flat, which I find very impressive.

I decided it was time to get ready to meet Ben.

I dug through my dresser attempting to find a bikini set that matched properly.

Finally, I threw on my floral top and white bottoms with shorts and a lose tank top.

~

Grabbing my keys and flipflops, I headed for my car.

It was considerably humid out for summer so I threw my hair into a quick pony tail and headed off.

The wind flowed through the open window as the loud music flowed out. The car shifted under my control as I steered it down several questionable paths.

Arriving on the dirt path, I brought the vehicle to an abrupt stop and got out.

The same thought always entered my mind when I came here, how did Ben get here? I never see a car, or bike, or any sign of an off road vehicle at that. He's always just, here.

I pushed the thought out of my head and made my way down the trail, to the roaring water. The closer I got the louder the waterfall seemed.

Trudging through heavy brush, the water was finally in sight. Ben's things were on the ground but there was no sight of him.

"Mickey!" I called out, using our almost ancient nicknames. "Mick! Come on! I'm not just going to stand here all day!" I shouted at what seemed like nothing.

"Calm down pretty momma, I'm back here!" he yelled, an echo following, as he dove out from behind the waterfall.

Splashing as he came up, he rested his arms on the rocks and looked up at me. "Wanna see what it looks like behind there? You took forever to get here so I explored and found there was a cave back there. It's honestly really cool," he said, very excitedly.

I jumped in, letting the cold water touch my hot skin.

He led me through the waterfall to the open area he discovered; the walls were smooth and the reflection off the water kept the place moderately bright.

"Ben, this place is beautiful! How did you even find it?" I asked, looking at him for an immediate response.

"I was waiting for you and skipping rocks and apparently one went through the waterfall making quite a noise back here so I went to get it and here we are, admiring my discovery," he said, spreading his arms and showing off the cave. "Plus!" he added "this can be out little hide out," he said with a smirk.

I smiled playfully as I pushed him into the water "I vote not for what you had in mind," I retorted and jumped in after him.

Opening me eyes, I tried my best to look around and try to find him. I went to the surface and gathered more breath as I felt something touch me underwater.

"Ahhh!" he screamed from behind me as he grabbed my side and shook me. I screamed like any white girl would in a horror movie.

"Don't do that to me, asshole!" I yelled as I splashed him, then put my hand over my heart "you could have given me a heart attack. Then what would you have done? I could have died Mick," I said trying not to laugh as I crossed my arms in a pretend pouting manner.

"Oh, shut up. You wouldn't have died," he said smiling.

"This place honestly is really beautiful," I said looking around at the trees and the water.

We swam for what seemed like hours, just enjoying each others company as well as the fresh air.

~

Finally, after what seemed like all day of swimming, we got out of the water and made our way to the top of the rocks where there was direct sunlight. The rocks were at the top of the waterfall and the view from the top was absolutely astounding.

"Hey Sky? Have you ever thought about, I dunno, running away?" Ben asked as he played with a pebble, lightly pushing it between his hands and fingers.

"Honestly? Yeah, I have. Several times actually. Like, when things get too stressful or distracting or even when my house is just too much," I said as I brushed my wet hair out of my face with my fingers.

"We should do that some day, honestly. Just run away together, I would really like that to be honest," he said as he continued to play with his pebble, but looked up to smile at me.

Ben's feelings for me seemed to go in a circle of confusion. Some days it seemed too obvious that he liked me but other days he treats me like one of the guys.

"Ben, I want you to be honest with me. No matter if it hurts me, okay? Do you like me?" I asked, my hands shaking nervously as I waited for a response.

"Sky, I'll tell you when the time is right. Right now is not that time," he said with a serious expression and I changed the subject. 

"Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a werewolf?" I asked as I tossed a pebble into the water.

"I um," he began but was cut off by his phone ringing.

"What!" He practically yelled into the phone. "Well I'm kind of in the middle of something," he said in a more annoyed tone. "Wait a second, what happened?" He said with a confused expression. "I'll be right there," he said with a sigh and hung up. "I've got to go Sky. I'm so sorry, meet me here tomorrow?" He asked as he looked at me with his irresistible eyes.

"Sounds like a plan, see you then," I said as he stood up and kissed my forehead then left.

I was honestly upset he left but he had my skin tingling from where his lips touched it.

I sat, admiring the nature that surrounded me and got into deep though about life.

Suddenly the bushes to my left made a noise. It didn't seem like a small animal considering the whole bush trembled.

I looked at it for a few seconds and that's when I saw the animal. The dark brown fur, the pointed ears, the dark eyes.

I followed my gut and put my hand out, waiting for it to approach and accept my welcoming gesture.

Its muscular figure glided toward me and nuzzled my hand. The wolf wanted me to pet him. I stroked its soft fur as I sat, amazed by how calm it was.

I heard distant howling, ringing through the forest as its ears perked, making it howl in response. Then, it took off.

I wanted to follow the gentle giant, but my gut told me to let it go. It would be back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~