Through the Dark Trees

Ni: Syrelle France S. Paterter

"When he was banished from the Heavens, the son of Milathor took the forest as his home. And since then, no mortal has ever dared to step on the Dark Trees for the Dark God has put a curse on it. No mortal who's entered the forest ever returned... they vanished into the darkness..."

I smiled as I hear the children gasp for breath while waiting for Arkius, the Wise Man, to finish his tale. When I was still a child, I have been one of the children who wait for Arkius's tales whenever he's around. It was the myth of the Dark God who's been cast down from the Heavens and ruled the Dark Trees since then. But things changed since then.

It was just a mere myth. No evidence has occurred that there really is a Dark God living, hiding inside the forest. It was like a child story used by parents to frighten their kids so that they won't go near the trees.

"Vanished... forever."Arkiussaid in a hoarse voice. Children screamed. Some embraced their friends; some glanced at the direction of the forest which is only meters away.

+ + +

"Where am I?"

I am now in a pitch dark place where only a minimal amount of light is able to pass. As I continue my pace, half blinded, I heard footsteps nearby. Then in just a snap, light spread all over the place.

I am in a forest. It was daylight. And the summer breeze kissed my cheeks like a freshly bloomed rose. A few steps away from me, is a man, his back to me, standing.

"Go away, mortal. You're not supposed to be here." He said. His tone is harsh but he has the sweetest voice I've ever heard.

"What do you mean? Who are you?" I asked.

"Go. Just go!" and walked away.

+ + +

"Hey!" I woke up. It was nearly dawn and I was drenched in sweat because of that dream.

I stood up and walked to my window where I could see the forest from afar.

"Who is he?"

+ + +

I'm walking right into the heart of the forest wondering why I was here in the first place. My townsmen might think that I've gone mad because of this. Maybe I've really lost my sanity that's why I'm here, in this creepy place, endangering myself just to find the answer.

My thoughts were disturbed when I heard a growl not far from where I'm standing. I took my bow and arrow and positioned for a strike. Whatever it is, I know that it will bring danger to me. I took hold of the arrow and positioned for a strike. The sun's rays pass through the canopy of treesas I steadied myself.

Seconds later, a huge black dog, as big as a matured bear, came out of the bush and its fangs showed as it growled at my direction. Its gigantic paws destroyed the plants as it made its way out of the bushes. The beast is pissed, that's all I know.

I released the arrow but the huge dog jumped and I missed. Terror filled my entire being as it launched itself to me. I stumbled backwards and fell to the root of the tree. And just as when it was about to attack me, a strong wind blew and it stopped, looking at the direction where the wind came. I followed the dog's gaze and I am amazed to see a man, walking his way to us.

He is handsome. No living man can surpass his feature. It is as if he is a god himself. He has long eyelashes which make his pitch black eyes more expressive, square jaws, prominent nose and red thin lips that are quite inviting. For a moment, I imagined myself with him. But when he stood right next to the beast and patted it, horror struck me again.