Chapter 13 - Love and War

Chapter 13 – Love and War

                   For the passed five days the only time I was able to see Panther Lily was during the morning meals. There was some obvious distrust between the big brother and I. Jellal had his guards follow me everywhere I went. The only place I could find the peace of being alone was in my room and the bathroom, but they were always right outside the door.

                   The next full moon was only four days away and right after would be the declaration of war. In preparation I’ve been put through intensive training everyday with Jellal’s men. Trying to shove down many different styles, the main one being the King’s Stance, a style of sword fighting that normally takes years to master. Even though I was learning fast, it was mostly to help keep my mouth shut, rather than keeping me alive in a fight. I feel almost helpless in this situation, but I know Panther Lily has it worst.

                  “What’s with all the moping?” Jinx asked slinking from behind the curtains.

                  “I’m not, I just…I’m annoyed that I can’t do anything.”

                  “It isn’t your place to do anything.”

                  “Argh!” I through a chair pillow at Jinx, then stood up and started pacing. “I know that. That’s why I’m so annoyed.”

                   “And fussy, maybe you should take a nap.”

                   “Is there somewhere in your programming that says you can’t be serious?”

                   Jinx licked his paw and drug it across his face. “The only two people who have a change at stopping this wedding are the Princess and Jellal. So in the end this wedding will happen.”

                    “Why does it have too.”

                    “Jellal wants nothing more than to be King, a greater one than his brother. Panther Lily no matter what feelings you may have for each other, she values her people more. With one pending war, another isn’t needed.”

                    “You know everything? So does that mean…”

                    “I am the eyes and ears of the kingdom. There’s not a thing I don’t know about. Not a rock unturned. Not a...”

                     “S-stop. Just stop.”

                     “People don’t try to keep secrets from those who can’t share them,” Jinx stretched out in front of the window. “I haven’t talked to Panther Lily. Her attendants are always with her. It’s only natural, they are preparing for something in a few days that normally takes a few months.”

                      “So what do we do?”

                      “Nothing.”

                       And I did nothing. I wasn’t the only one who was openly against the wedding, though. Salamander stopped coming out of his room after he and Jellal got into a fight. I’m not sure about Sal, but Jellal only eats with the right side of his mouth now.

                        The day before the wedding Panther Lily and Queen Sorrel didn’t come to the morning meal. So it was just the King, Jellal, and I. I left before the food was served.