We've got this far together... Why stop now? [Sequel to Boundaries?!] Chapter 29

I was looking out of the window of Dylan's car, watching as we passed through the town centre.

"Where are we going?" I asked, looking over at him. I saw a curve of a smile on his lips.

"Well, I know it's not expensive but I wanted to take you to Frankie and Benny's." He looked over at me slightly. "I hope that's not too much of a disappointment."

"Are you kidding?" I asked, not giving him any time to respond I carried on. "I love Frankie and Benny's that is a place I really don't mind going to eat!"

Watching his face relax, I smiled turning back to the window.

After sitting down and ordering the food that we both wanted silence fell between us.

"So you’re quite close to your brother then?” Dylan blurted out randomly.

I laughed slightly, taking a sip of my coke that was placed before me.

“Yeah we are quite close, like I said earlier he’s always fighting my corners. I mean we argue quite a lot but he’s always there even if he didn’t want to be. Just like I would be if he happened to be in my shoes, I’ll always help him.”

“Like family does…” Dylan told me, a smile on his features. “Oh good! The food’s coming closer to our table!”

I couldn’t stop the laughter escaping my lips, watching his eyes light up as the food was placed on the table.

“Are you hungry or something?” I asked, sarcasm filling my tone playfully.

“No, what on earth gave you that idea?” He replied, giving me a wink before he picked up his burger and took a massive chunk out of it. Boys.

After the meal we made our way out of the restaurant, his hand holding my own. He pulled me slightly when I turned to go towards the car.

“We’re not going home just yet, come on.” Dylan told me, pulling my hand in the opposite direction to where I was headed.

I let him pull me along, not even realising we we’re headed to a park with a swing set. Dylan led me towards the swings, motioning for me to get on one before he sat down in the one next to me.

“So…” I muttered, taking in my surroundings.

“So? How about we get to know each other a little?”

“Okay, this sounds interesting. What exactly do you want to know?”

Dylan paused on his swing slightly, almost hesitant to ask the question burning on his lips.

“You can ask me anything it’s okay you know?” I said, trying to encourage him.

“Why are you here? Living with your Aunt for the summer I mean.”

“I… I’m here because I needed a break. Thing back home aren’t that easy right now.”

“Why? You can tell me it’s not like I’m going to run away screaming.”

“My ex-boyfriend decided that he was going to believe a lot of people over me. Even though he’s never had any reason to doubt me, it didn’t help that I’d moved back to my old school. His ex caused a lot of trouble for the both of us and he decided that he would believe her over me. I’ve been getting a bit of hassle and I just wanted to get away and try and get back to being me, you know?”

“Sounds like a very good reason. Why did he believe her?”

“I don’t know, but all my friends aren’t that friendly towards me now either. It’s like his ex just brainwashed everyone to alienate me, but it’s worked all in her favour.”

“Then he doesn’t deserve you. If he didn’t realise that he had a good thing going with you then he’s an idiot. Anyone would be lucky to have you from what I’ve seen the past few weeks. You’re amazing.”

I felt a blush form on my cheeks. “Thank you.”

Waiting a few seconds I decided it was my turn to ask something.

“What got you into music?”

“It was my brother actually, he loved music, it’s his guitar that I actually play.”

“How much older was he?”

“Four years, but you wouldn’t have thought it.”

“How lo…” I started, only for Dylan to cut in.

“3years.”

“I’m so sorry Dylan.” I stopped swinging, getting up and went over towards him. Wrapping my arms around him before he could mutter a word to protest.

“It’s okay Tash really, I still keep myself with him by doing something we both loved doing. Playing his guitar is just my way of keeping him playing.”

I pulled back slightly from our hug, looking into his eyes, watching as they showed the pain he kept inside. We stayed like that for a few minutes just looking at each other, before Dylan stood up wrapping his arms tightly around me. Moving slightly as I still faced him, he slowly let me go, taking my hand once again in his walking us back to his car.

We talked mindlessly on the drive home, making each other laugh at silly jokes, old stories and recent adventures.

He pulled up to my Aunt’s house the lights still on for the porch.

“Thank you for an amazing dinner and amazing company. I really appreciate it.” I told him, undoing my seat belt.

“It’s no problem, I’m hoping that we’ll get another night like this. I like your company.”

Dylan leaned over to my side of the car pressing his lips to my own, a few minutes later he was out of his car door, around to my side opening my door for me. Not stopping there he led me up to the door, a huge smile plastered on his face.

“Thanks Dylan, I’ll speak to you soon?” I asked hugging him.

“Yes, you shall be hearing from me without a doubt. I’ve got work in the morning but we’ve got band practise tomorrow. Maybe I’ll see you there.”

He backed away from my hug heading towards his car.

“Maybe…” I muttered, biting my lip to try and stop the smile spreading across my face. Going inside I made my way straight upstairs, going into my bedroom and falling onto my bed.

My life had just got better.