Chapter 3

"Hurry up, Megan!" Lisa calls. I stumble down the stairs, trying to get my shoe back on.

"I'm coming!" I huff, "is it too much to ask to sleep in on a Saturday?"

"When it's a Hogsmeade weekend it is!" Lisa says as I catch up and we get in to line.

"Look, we've got to wait anyway," I say, motioning to the line. Lisa ignores me.

"We have to get to the village to book a hair appointment," she says, "I want to get the best time slot."

"I thought you were doing it yourself," I say as the line edges forward.

"I was going to, but then Professor Flitwick mentioned that we're allowed down to the village before the Ball. I sent them an owl, but they said that to make an appointment you have to go in and see them," she huffs a little, "I'm going to ask if they do make up too, they do sometimes, you know, and then all I'll have to do is get dressed. This means you have to decide for sure if you're coming or not now so we can book you in as well."

"Oh, I can't afford to have my hair done, let alone hair and make up," I tell her.

"Nonsense, remember when we stayed with Grammy and she took such a shine to you? Well, she wanted to send you a Christmas present and I told her about the Ball, so she said that she'd pay for both of us, as a treat!" Lisa shoots me a huge grin, "so, you really have to go to the Ball, she's expecting a photo of us."

"Can I just have a picture and then stay in the dormitory?" I sigh, accepting my fate. Lisa shakes her head adamantly.

"You can't put all that to waste," she says, "now we have to find you a date."

"Did you tell her that just so I'd have to go?" I demand. Lisa shoots me a sly smile.

"Lisa!" I exclaim, "that's so manipulative!"

"Megan, I know you'll have a good time, if you only give it a try!" she insists, "I promise! We'll find you a date, someone really cool. Maybe Ryan, what do you think of him?"

"No, he smells weird," I groan.

"Well, who then?!"

I see the twins exit the Great Hall and follow them with my eyes.

"Oooh, which one!" Lisa squeals, grabbing my arm.

"Neither of them!" I say, hushing her, "I... I can't tell them apart. I just, like twins. I don't know, I find them interesting."

"I heard George was going with Katie Bell," Lisa says, "but I don't think Fred has asked anyone."

"Everyone knows he fancies Angelina," I say. She rolls her eyes.

"Oh, he does not. I asked her, she said that they're just close friends. Besides, isn't she going with that Hufflepuff guy?"

I shrug, turning to face the front of the line. We get our names marked off and Lisa grabs my arm.

"Come on, then, hurry. Who knows how many girls have made reservations! We can worry about dates later!"

She breaks into a run, dragging me behind her. By the time we reach the village I'm straggering and gasping for breath. We pause outside the hair salon and I struggle to breathe.

"Right," Lisa says, breathing heavily, "let's go in."

I follow her and look around at the salon. It's all white and black and so clean. I've never been in before, though we've often looked at the hair products through the window. The place smells of some soft, flowery scent. I move closer to Lisa to listen to what she's saying.

"Yes, nails as well," she says, "the Ball starts at eight, so we'll need time to get back to the castle and get dressed as well."

I turn away, chills running through my body. Hair, make up and nails. It's like a dream come true. I feel tears of excitement welling in my eyes and wipe them away. As I look out on to the street I see Lee, Fred and George leaving Honeydukes. One of the twins catches my eye and grins, waving. I give him a shy smile and wave back and turn away, blushing furiously. Lisa turns to me, looking thrilled.

"Right, sorted," she says, "we're to come down here at three."

"It'll take five hours?!" I exclaim.

"More like four, but I wanted to make sure that we have plenty of time to get back to the castle. I don't want to rush and sweat off my make up," she says, leading me out into the cold street. As we exit a group of girls goes in to the shop.

"Huh, we got the best time slot, ladies," Lisa smirks, walking away.