Chapter 2

"I don't know if I like my hair up or down," Lisa says. I glance up from my book to where she's sitting in front of her mirror, playing with her hair.

"Why don't you do it half up, half down?" I ask her, "best of both worlds."

"Hmm..."

I turn back to my book, not really reading. All I've been able to think of is the ball. How badly I want to go, to wear pretty dress robes and make up and have my hair done. I want to go so badly it hurts. I silently curse my body for being wrong. I hate it.

When I was starting at Hogwarts my parents explained that I might not be able to be a girl here, I might have to be a boy. After I got my letter we had to go and talk to Dumbledore. I wore my favourite green dress. My parents spoke to him, explaining my situation. It was very taboo. They'd argued about whether it would be better just to make me hide it. I could be a girl at home and a boy at school. Finally Dad argued Mum down, told her it wasn't fair that I had to be someone else, that the least they could do was ask.

Professor Dumbledore listened to them, the whole time examining me over the top of his glasses. When my parents finished he didn't say a word. He stood and walked over to a shelf and picked a huge book off it. He opened it and flicked through until he found my name. Matthew Turner. Silently, he scratched out Matthew and wrote Megan. He looked up at me and smiled.

"We look forward to having you at Hogwarts, Miss Turner," he said.

Even though Dumbledore had approved, I knew from experience not everyone would. When I went to my Grandparent's house wearing a skirt my Grandfather yelled at my parents, saying I was sick, twisted. It wasn't natural and that as long as this went on we weren't welcome in their house any longer. It broke my father's heart, but he told them that he loved me no matter what and they should to.

I never saw my Grandfather again. He died three years ago. He never showed any sign of remorse. My Grandmother, however was thrilled to be able to invite us back. She spent a whole day measuring me and picking dress patterns with me. Her only other child had three boys and she was so excited to have a granddaughter.

I wipe a tear from my eye and glance at Lisa. She's trying to put on false lashes. She has no idea how lucky she is.