im sorry.

Chapter 36

Katie's POV

"Katie. Katie it will be okay. Open your eyes."

I sigh and open my eyes to see Orpheus staring intently at me a worried expression on his face. I smile weakly and let him carry me out into the hallway. "Go find Kasper," he says to the other men that were first with him when I saw him.

Suddenly a pain shoots through my chest and I groan. I know it's Kasper. I have to get to him! I struggle in Orpheus's arms.

"Let me go! He's hurt! Let. Me.Go!" I scream. Orpheus looks down at me.

"Who's hurt child? Calm down," he says in an attempt to get me to try and stop moving. But I can't. I have to find Kasper. I nudge Orpheus hard and he drops me onto the ground. I don't waste a minute. I get up and run towards the the other direction.

I keep going the way I thought the feeling was coming from. It led me to a mirrored room and when I entered I saw Kasper on the floor with his brother standing above him.

I scream in horror at Kasper's lifeless body. His brother looks at me and smiles.

Then he walks towards me and grabs me. "He's dead girl. Your lover is dead."

"No he isn't. He wouldn't die. He can't die!" I say the tears flowing out of my eyes.

Kante looks at me and I thought I saw a hint of sympathy in his eyes, but in a flash it was gone.

"Kasper is dead. Come with me," he says reaching for my other arm. I move away. Hot tears spill out of my eyes and rage overcomes me. Houw could Kante? His own brother? How could he?

Kante reaches for me again and I move away. Suddenly without thinking I pick up the stake beside Kasper in the blink of an eye.

Kante backs up holding his hands up in a surrender motion. "Put that down, girl, before you hurt yourself."

I look at where his heart would be. Then using my new vampire speed I run and stab him through the heart. His face goes up into shock and in a few seconds his face goes pale and he falls into ashes.

I stare at what used to be his body and the tears start coming as I think about Kasper. Orpheus rushes in with the rest of the men and stare at what I had done to Kante.

Then a thought comes to my head. If kante was stabbed with a stake and burst into ashes, why didn't Kasper?

I gasp and run to him. I kneel down by his side and put my head to his chest. looked for the hole that the stake would've left. It was right next to his heart.

Kante had missed his heart.

"Kasper? Kasper can you hear me?"I ask urgently a hopeful smile on my face.After a few minutes of waiting I start crying. He was dead.

I feel a hand on my back. "Come on child. We must go," Orpheus says into my ear. I look at him. His face was sad and so were the faces of the men behind him.

I look back to Kasper. He was still laying there.I slowly lean down and grab his hand kissing his cheek,the tears coming harder.

I whisper into his ear. "I'm sorry Kasper," I say softly.

Then I slowly get up. I try to let go of his hand but I can't. Apparently he can't either. Kasper's hand slowly tightens around mine and hi eyes open wide.

He looks at me, tears in his eyes.

"Don't be," he says.