The Day After

Sam-

The tantalizing smell of breakfast woke my hungry stomach, its rumbling, along with the scent, pulling me out of a deep sleep. I felt surprisingly good as I slowly turned my head on the soft pillow to glance at the clock on the nightstand.

Huh? It's already almost noon?

I hadn't slept in in so long that I wasn't really sure what to do. After a minute of thought, my head cleared a little and I noticed the plate of food sitting just behind the clock with a note folded next to it, along with a small box. My hunger urged me to grab for the food, which was probably cold considering I didn't see any steam coming off of it, so it had to have been there for awhile, however, what caught and held my attention was the note and box.

Reaching for the note, I licked my lips and hesitantly opened it. I was having trouble recalling all of what happened yesterday, but as the words on the dull white paper filled in the blanks, I felt my stomach drop.

I apologize for telling you in this way, but I can't afford to miss work and I couldn't wake you this morning. I suppose I'm just a coward, but I can't face what I did yet. I have the kids and will be home early and if you need to wait until then, I will gladly do whatever you need me to during the test and I will take full responsibility for whatever the result may be.

 Richard

I didn't need to try and remember anything now. Images were swimming through my mind from last night... And they were hot. My face warmed but I couldn't push down the panic in my gut as I turned to stare at the pregnancy test. It would only take a minute. All I had to do was go bathroom, which I really had to do. Yet I found myself staying in bed for another twenty minutes before finally forcing my limbs to move.

Even as I made myself take that short, terrible walk to the bathroom, I was praying that last night had somehow not happened. Now that I could actually think clearly I knew that I'd gone into heat really badly. The ache in my backside making it also rather obvious that we had been very busy last night. It had been so long since my heat had happened that I was taken off guard. I also thought it wouldn't be so bad, but it had been unbelievably painful and hot. So hot. My cheeks heated with a blush that ran halfway down my chest as I finally stopped in front of the toilet, looking down at the box in my hand.

"We-we'll make it work i-if it's positive."

My voice shook with emotion and I blinked back tears. The thought of having more puppies was overwhelming but if Richard was true to his word, it might not be overbearing... With that tiny moment of slight relief, I got the test out of the box and relieved myself, then set the test on the counter before jumping in the shower.

I took my time washing myself while sitting on the seat he'd placed in the shower before, then rewashing my body until it was red from all the rubbing. When the water finally ran cold I stepped out, unable to keep my worry inside any longer. My feet took me to stand in front of the sink counter and my eyes landed on the test.

Then relief flooded my system.

"Negarive."