Chapter 1: The Death of Jesse

It was our 4 year anniversary. Jesse took me out to a small but fancy restaurant in town. He seemed really nervous that night, though I'm not quite sure why. It was like any other dinner. We held hands under neath the table and made small chit chat as we ate our meals. You learn a lot about a person in 4 years. Some of the things you learn are the stupidest things you ever heard and some are the most beautiful. I loved every second we spent together and now I cherish those seconds like none other.

"Annabelle..." he whispered my name slowly reaching his hand into his pocket. He didn't seem like his usual self. His hands looked like they were shaking, he was quiet, and he was pale.

"What Jesse?" I asked him in a concerned voice.

Jesse's eyelids started to go shut. He tried his hardest to keep them open, but it was no use. I remember his hand leaving his pocket and falling limp. Soon after his whole body collapsed in his seat. I hopped out of my seat and went over to him shaking his body with urgency. I put his hands in mine and pleaded that he would be alright.

"Someone please help!" I cried out into open room of the restaurant, "Someone help me!" Tears trickled down my face and landed all over Jesse's body.

Hearing my pleads the whole restaurant went hysterical. People ran up and surrounded me and Jesse from all sides to see what the commotion was about.

The manager made his way through the crowd and pushed his way in front of them all. "Everyone please back up!" he yelled to the sea of people trying his hardest to push them back.

The manager called 911 right after he got all the people to back away. The ambulance came in 5 minutes, but those 5 minutes seemed like an eternity to me. The sirens high pitched shriek still plays over and over in my head. Sirens are a noise I never want to hear again. Sirens are the sound of your loved one's life fading away in disguise. 

Once the paramedics got into the resturaunt they detatched my pittiful shaking body from Jesse's body. I already knew he couldn't be alive. His body was too cold, his body was dead...

I ran out to the parking lot to see him being taken away from me. His body was motionless on  the stretcher. He didn't look like he was even breathing. I sunk to the ground and wrapped my arms around my knees. I didn't want to see him being taken away from me. I heard the sirens drift away, leaving me on the ground sobbing to myself.

Present Time

I couldn't bring myself to visit him that night. I was a wreck and still am. 

I take a deep breath and close my eyes trying to give myself strength. I walk through the doors of the hospital and immediately the smell of death hits me. I turn around about to run straight out of the terrifying building, but I can't do that. I made a promise I'd visit Jesse, dead or alive. I go up to the receptionist desk with teary eyes. 

"Who are you here for?" she asks without emotion in a dull tone. 

I gulp clearing my throat, "Jesse Davis," I tap my fingers against my pants in anxiety.

"Room 33 on the right." she responds pointing down the right corridor. 

"Thanks," I give a nod to her and anxiously speed walk down the hallway.

I arrive to room 33 and try to peek in the window, but it had something covering it from the inside so no one could look in. I pound on the door and a man in a white lab coat comes out.

"You must be Miss Andrews," the doctor shakes my hand roughly. His hand is deathly cold, almost as cold as how Jesse's body felt. 

"How is he?" I ask choking on every word. I bite my tongue waiting for his response. This answer could change my whole life.

"Well.." the doctor looks around the hall, "I'm afraid Jesse is dead," he sighs.

The words I never wanted to hear just became I reality. I couldn't think straight after being hit with the news.

"And I believe this belongs to you," the doctor drops a sparkling ring into my hand. The rays of light made the ring shine. I stood in awe with the treasure in my hands.

My stomach felt like 100 pounds got dropped into it. He was going to propose to me... My whole body shook uncontrollably. I lost control of my body once it all sunk in. My eyesight started to fade away, and I was so dizzy I couldn't stand straight.

"Miss Andrews?" I heard the doctor say as I slowly started to loose consciousness.

I collapsed to the ground in a shivering heap.

 ***

A few hours later I wake up. I slip the breath taking ring I received on my finger.

"Of course I'll marry you Jesse," I whisper looking upwards while tears still steam down my face.

I am worthless now. With out him I am nothing. My whole life no longer has any meaning. No! I know Jesse wouldn't want me to weep like a baby over his death. I need to stay strong, I need to do something about his death. 

With a new found courage and purpose I clench my fists and storm out of the plain and dreary hospital room.

"Doctor!" I shout to the doctor that I saw earlier in the day.

"Miss Andrews!" he exclaims surprised that I was stomping my way towards him. 

"How did he die doctor?" I say standing confidently in front of the large man.

"No one knows for sure..." the doctor mumbles intimidated by my daring self.

"What?! You have to know! Your a doctor, this is what doctors do!" I yell at him enraged. 

I must calm down, Jesse wouldn't want me to be angry over his death either.

"Doctors cure their patients, not find out how they died Miss Andrews." the doctor rebuttals back to me getting slightly irritated by my behavior. "If you want to know how he died then get an investigation started because I know he didn't die of any natural causes or health problems."

"Does that mean someone meant to kill him..?" I ask with eyes widened in horror.

"That isn't my era of specialty Miss Andrews," he answers with no emotion.

I huff out hot air in frustration, "Fine then I'll figure it out myself!" I speed out of the hospital with a new found determination and attitude. I won't be stopped until I find my boyfriend's killer and until then I won't give up.

 Written by: Rachelowl13