Italy

Italy:

I watch as the lobster floats in the bubbling water and frown. What does he mean, 'too young for that stuff' I'm hundreds and hundreds of years old! I think I'm old enough to flirt! I shake my head and hum to myself, trying to keep his answer from bothering me too much. I mean, who cares what he says, anyway. He's Germany. Always serious, no kidding around.

I sigh and glance over at his bedroom door. 'I guess I don't want you to grow up.' 'you're too young.' I sigh and try to push the thoughts out of my head. “Stop it Italy!” I whisper, watching my lobster friend. I grab a giant spoon and poke him with it. He's a goner. Darn.“What were you hoping he'd say anyway?” I mumble aloud, still letting myself be bothered by his comments. “That he did that cause he liked you? Goodness!”

I stop poking the lobster and think about what I just said. “Like me? Do I want him to like me?” I whisper to myself. Sighing. “Why must he be so difficult!” I shout a little to loud. Regretting it instantly.

“Why must who be so difficult?” I hear a voice say from behind me. I jump and turn around to look at them.

“Oh, Japan. You scared me!” I say, letting out a breath. Thank God it weren't Germany...that would've been an awkward conversation. 'Oh, nothing. I was just thinking about you and me being together, you know, in love, and started to wonder why you were so difficult and uptight...' I silently thank the lord for his mercy on me.

Japan raises his eyebrow and grabs a Coca Cola from the fridge. “Want one?” He asks calmly, tossing me one even though I didn't answer. I catch it and place it on the counter.

“And...I was talking about Germany.” I say, finally answering Japan's question. He nods, as I open my Coke and take a sip. I love these things...America was so kind to bring them!

“Oh, yes. You two are dating, correct?” I almost choke on my drink as I look at him with wide eyes.

“What!? No! He's not even gay-he likes women!” Japan just smirks.

“What about you, Italy? Are you gay?” I shake my head hastily.

“Oh, no!” I mumble, shaking a bit. “Uh, no, no. Normally, us Italians are pretty fond with the ladies, and we love flirting and drinking wine with them and sleeping with them too! Women are our lives!” I explain quickly.

Japan takes a sip of his coke. “You said normally Italians are fond with the ladies. Are you not a normal case?”

I stare wide eyed at him and curse myself for wording it wrong. I dragged myself into that one. “Japan,” I say, just as Germany walks into the kitchen. “I am positive that I like women, and only women.”

Germany stops mid-stride for a split second, then continues to walk over to the cabinets to get the plates.

Japan lets out a laugh and I just watch Germany get the plates out. He clears his throat. “What are we talking about?” He asks calmly, no hint of anything unusual in his tone.

“Oh, nothing. Japan was just harassing me about being gay.” I state quickly. Still watching him.

“And are you?” He mumbles with his back turned, not really interested in the answer.

“No, of course not! I was just telling him how us Italians are very dependent on our women!” I start to laugh, but stop when he turns around and I see his expression. Humiliation. Does that mean he-

Before I can question him, the expression changes into his normal, serious and strict one, and he sets the plates on the table. “Let's eat.” He mumbles, and takes a seat on his normal place at the table. Right across from mine. I let Japan take care of the Lobster and sit across from Germany, waiting for our food.

“So,” I say, starting a conversation. “How was your day, Germany?” He shrugs.

“Could've been better.” He states, staring at the table.

I nod thoughtfully and smile at him. “Well, hopefully tomorrow will be a lot better for you!” He glances up at me and gives me a half smile, then goes back to staring at the table.

Japan places the pieces of the lobster on our plates and sits down with us, awkwardly trying to start a conversation including all three of us.

“Did you guys hear the news? I heard America tried to show Canada how to fight in war and Canada ended up almost killing himself!” He laughs awkwardly, and takes a bite of his lobster. Germany smiles and does the same.

I watch Germany eat and when he finally notices my stare, I give him a questioning look. “What were you smiling about?” I ask him, having an idea of just the memory he was revisiting.

“Oh, you know, just when you almost blew yourself up with a grenade.” He chuckles, and shakes his head. “You had me so worried! You know that?”

I laugh and nod. “Yeah...Fighting's not really my thing.” Japan snorts.

“You don't say?” I slap his shoulder and we all burst out laughing, instantly cheering us all up. We spend the rest of the night telling stories and reminiscing on old memories.

It was one of the first times I felt like we were all bonding, including Germany. I smile at the thought.