Chapter 59

Chapter 59

Ivana hands Mason her shopping bag as they make their way out of Saks Fifth Ave.  She walks quickly ahead of him to the mall's exit.  Standing at the door she waits for him to catch up.

"Where are you going now?"  He's fed up.  She called him about eight this morning pleading with him to take her shopping.  Its early afternoon and they've been in three stores, she's bought four pairs of shoes and two dresses.  Mason believes she's trying to avoid thinking about what happened on the veranda. He stayed with her after the police released all of the women.  He tried to get her to talk about it but she refused and didn't want him to go home.

He stayed with her until she fell asleep.  When he got to his own home there was that same SUV he saw before parked at the end of his street.  He went into his house and waited for the Senator or one of his men to knock on his door but they didn't, the vehicle just sat there.  It was there again this morning when he left to pick up Ivana.

He stands in between the mall exit doors with Ivana looking out and around the parking lot.  He doesn't see the SUV anywhere but he is sure it's somewhere out there.  Grabbing Ivana by the hand he pulls her back into the mall finding a seating area for them to sit.  Ivana is resistant.  He holds her shoulders pushing her down to sit on a chair.

"Listen to me."  He sits beside her throwing her shopping bags on the table.  "I think I'm being followed and I don't want anything to happen to you.  Earlier this morning when I left your house there was a black SUV sitting at the end of my street.  It was there this morning when I left to come pick you up and I don't know but I think it's out there somewhere in the parking lot following us."  Mason says.

"They're Aiden's men aren't they?"  Ivana says turning around in her seat looking toward the exit then back at him.

"I don't know, I haven't talked to the Senator since that night.  He threatened me and I think he's having me followed to scare me.  Ivana, I need you to tell me what happened on that veranda.  I'm not just your friend, I'm also your attorney so I can't tell anyone anything you tell me."

"I haven't hired you as my attorney Mason.  I know we kind of just fell into this and I appreciate everything you've done for me.  I also know you aren't as clean in all of this as you want me and everybody else to believe.  Aiden and Sharna used you just like they use everybody else.  You must have really pissed him off if he's got one of his henchmen following you 24/7.  I can't tell you yet what happened on that veranda."  Ivana says turning away from him.

"Why the hell not, you just told me I can't trust the Sharna and the Senator.  Sharna was on that veranda with you, do you really believe you can trust her, you can't Ivana....you need to tell me."

"You don't understand, you can never understand.  I can't talk about it, at least not yet.  I know what Sharna is like.  I'm the woman that started dating Chace when he broke it off with her but this is beyond that.  We all agreed we wouldn't say anything and I'm glad Gavin is dead.  I don't regret what happened to him."  Mason is staring at her noticing her body language.  She doesn't look happy about it, she's very tense.

Taking her hand in his he holds onto it.  "Ivana you can't say things like that, not out loud.  You were just questioned about the man's death.  You're under suspicion and you're out shopping as if you don't have a care in the world.  It doesn't look right, it makes you seem cold and hard that's not you."  Mason answers.