Chapter 24 Tea and Guilt

It took her a moment to hide all the evidence of her plan. Most of it went under her bed.

She quickly rumpled up the bedding so it looked used.

With a final glance at the room she swung open the door.

Zara swept into the room carrying a laden tray.

The scent of tea, sugar, vanilla, meat, cucumbers, and cream followed her as she made her way over to the bed.

"I thought this would help you feel better. You need to eat, Elle." Zara said moving across the room to placed the over ladden tray on the bed.

Elle closed the door. "I - I don't feel as bad as I did." She stammered as she lied. She wasn't sick, she had just needed time alone.

"Come. Eat something and drink some tea. You'll still feel better." Zara said as she sat on the bed and filled the two cups half full of tea. Elle sat at the other end of the bed, across from Zara and the tray.

Zara placed placed cheese, meat, cucumber, and bread on a saucer and passed it to Elle.

Elle felt badly about lying to the others, especially to Zara. However she knew she had little choice. She felt bad anyway.

Zara going to the trouble to bring the tray only increased the guilt.

Elle eyed the bowls of sliced beef, cheese, sugar, the jar of cream and small plate of tiny cakes and her guilt rocketed up another notch.

Zara suddenly leaned forward and placed a hand on Elle's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Elle nodded. "Yes." She tried to say but it came out a horse whisper.

She looked down at the plate Zara handed her. She admitted it smelled good. She just wasn't hungry.

"Come on, Elle. Try to eat." Zara pleaded, concerned.

Elle felt her shoulders sag. "I'm not really hungry, Z." She said shaking her head.

"Please?" Zara pleaded again, her eyes searching Elle's face.

Elle closed her eyes. She took a deep breath and released it slowly. When she opened her eyes she shifted the plate and took a small bite of the cheese.

Zara smiled. She placed a bite of the thin sliced beef on her tongue. "Mmm, good." She said after she swallowed.

Elle nodded. She moved a slice of beef.

"Your captain is worried about you." Zara said and took a sip of tea.

"You can tell him I'll be fine by the time we sail." Elle mumbled. She picked up a slice of cucumber and layed it on the other side of the plate.

"I don't think that's why he's worried." She placed a bite of cucumber in her mouth.

"I'll be fine anyway." Elle said placing the plate on the quilt. She picked up a piece of bread.

"We know. But you've been miserable for two days. You don't come down to the common room." Zara said and took another sip of tea.

Elle kept her eyes on the bread in her hands. She was slowly pulling out the soft white center, rolling it into little balls and dropping the bread balls on the plate. "I'll be okay soon."

"You'd be better sooner if you'd get it of this room. You know, get some fresh air, go for a walk."

Elle didn't comment. She was tired of lying and couldn't tell Zara that she had been leaving the room. She couldn't tell her why she was avoiding them.

"Elle, are you-"

"I'm fine." Elle said glancing up. She looked back at the plate. She popped a cucumber slice in her mouth. She chewed.

"No, you're not. Something is wrong and I don't mean just you being sick." Zara said putting her cup on the tray. "Are you nervous about the convent?"

Elle nodded her head. She was but that wasn't all. She needed to get Zara out of the room before she told her every thing.

"I - I think I need to lay down." She said.

"You've hardly ate."

"I'll eat latter."

Zara sighed heavily. "I'll leave some of it here."

Elle felt her eyes on her. "I'm sorry, Z." She said and looked up.

The look of sorrow and concern caused her to doubt her plan. Do we need to know what the painting looks like that badly? She wondered. Am I about to risk my life for something of little importance.

Zara stood and placed Elle's plate and the tea on the dresser.

"Drink the tea at least. It's good for your stomach." She said and placed the plate of cakes on the dresser by the tea.

"I'll try." Elle said.

Zara soon left with the tray. Elle sat on the bed with the tea cup cradled in her hands.

No, I've got to see that painting. I'll steal it if I can but I have to at least see it.