Chapter Two

Alice awoke the next morning with her fathers words on her mind. She was no longer allowed in town until farther notice. He claimed it was not safe. She knew it was the result of the Confederate Army making their way this far. Or it might have been Gabriel's doing. Maybe even both. Her father was in a sour mood for the entire day. Mumbling inaudible words that Alice tried to catch. All she managed to get was slaves,not safe here, underground needs more help, and marriage. She was confused. Even more so by the words marriage and underground. What was underground, who needed help, and who was getting married?

Loud banging sounded downstairs followed by loud shouting. Alice quickly got out of bed. She tossed on her bed robe and headed downstairs.

"Miss Alice go back to your room,"James said as he rushed over to her from the doorway.

"What's going on?"

"Alice go. Stay there until me or James tells you its safe for you to come out,"her father said as he flew down the stairs, rifle in hand.

"What's happening?"

Charles took her by the arm and forced her in the direction of the stairs.

"Girl get your behind up the stairs now. And lock the door behind you."he said angrily to her. Louder knocks sounded at the front door. Charles clocked his gun and turned his attention back to the thunderous noise maker.

"Go Alice."Charles said roughly as he nodded to James to answer the door.

Alice ran up the stairs. Without looking back. She kept running making it back to her room within seconds. She slammed her bedroom door behind her and locked it. What was going on? She didn't get what was happening or what it was that had the two men downstairs in such a fright.

Alice had never seen her father act in such a manner or handle her as he did. Something just had to be terribly wrong.

She couldn't help but jump when she heard a loud booming sound. The crashing of glass sounded right after. Alice looked around her room for something to put in the front of her door. She ran and got the chair that was at her desk. She placed the chair under her doorknob.

Alice heard a scream followed by the sound of a gun firing. Was that James? Could that have been Charles screaming as he took his last breath? She was about to reach of her door handle when it begin to jiggle. She quickly moved backwards.

"This ones locked." A crude voice said from the other side of the door.

"Break the son of a bitch down Billy. They might be in there."

"Stand back. I need room."

Alice was so frozen with fear. She didn't even think to hide under her bed. She only continued to back away until her back collided against the wall.

A gasp fall from her lips as her bedroom door was kicked in. It flew back hard against the wall, hanging barely on its hinges. The chair fall over to the ground.

"Well ain't no slaves in her-"

The man stop as his eyes landed on Alice. " Something better is in here instead."

"And what's that?"The second man said as he joined the first man in Alice's room.

"Ah, definitely better."he said as his eyes zoomed in on her.

"Watch you thinking Roger?"the first man said to his companion.

"I think we stumbled upon a rare find. And I think we should bring her right along with us Billy."

"Can't help but agree. What's 'ur name gal?"

Alice tried to speak. She could only utter a breathless mumble. Where was James and her father?