interlude \\ 95

i just realized i couldn't leave their relationship at loose ends (there will be an epilogue though :)

do you realize the feels i get when you call my writing beautiful? monumental feels, thank you so much. like i don't really trust my friends because they know me and want to make me happy but i don't know you and you think it's beautiful ily ok thank you thank you.

@GiraffesAreCoolOkay i appreciate you okay
***

I toss my jacket with excellent precision at the coatrack by the door. It drops over my mother's yoga hoodie.

I find her curled into the corner of the couch, talking quietly into her cell phone. When she sees me, she breathes a goodbye and drops it on her lap.

"Hi, sweetie." She smiles at me, and I lie across the other end of the couch. "Did you have a nice time with Cam?"

"Yeah. Milo came over and they taught me how to play Texas Hold 'Em." I put my feet in her lap, and she arches an eyebrow.

"Beat them?"

"Of course."

"That's my girl." A pause. "Um, I've wanted to talk to you about something, but you haven't been around a lot."

"Oh..." I mentally run through the possibilities. She lost her job? We're moving? She's a lesbian? We're fostering gerbils? I'm not allowed to see Cam anymore?

"I've... I've started seeing someone. I met him through a colleague at work." I stare at her. "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you before..."

I swallow. I try not to smile because she looks super nervous. "Who is he?"

"His name is Allan. He owns the big organic grocery store downtown." She stares at me.

"The Jewish one?"

"No, the one with the monkey on the sign."

"Oh..."

"So..."

"So...?"

"Do you have anything to say?"

"Um, congratulations?"

She seems a little surprised. "You're not angry?"

I sputter a bit. "Why-why would I be angry? You've been alone with me all these years, you deserve someone!" I don't usually speak like there would be an exclamation mark, but the situation warrants it.

She sighs, and stars rubbing my feet. There are few things in life that feel as lovely as a foot massage. "Thank you."

I don't ask for what? but close my eyes and nestle into the pillows.

"How's Cambriel?" I smile when she uses his full name.

"He loves me, he thinks."

"Do you love him?" I blush, and shrug a little. She laughs. "Would you like to have dinner with Allan this week? He'd like to meet you. You could even bring Cam."

"Sure." Then we both turn to the television as the Audrey Hepburn marathon begins.