Chapter 22

“So let me get this straight,” Kyla said as she opened her car’s door.  “We have to do this creepy stalker project, and you got assigned to Dannon?”

I hopped into Kyla’s car and nodded.  I leaned back, stretching my arms out.  The day couldn’t have finished fast enough.  I’d wanted to tell Kyla about the project in English, but class had been too hurried, too fast paced to get any talking what-so-ever in.  I hadn’t even had a chance to look at her.  It was rather annoying.  “Yeah, that’s pretty much it,” I mumbled, closing my eyes for a moment before reopening.

Kyla squealed.  “That’s so awesome!”

You would think that when someone said “creepy stalker” the reaction would be anything but “That’s so awesome!”  But, this was Kyla.  So, obviously her reaction would be that.  I sighed, shaking my head.  It shocked me how someone like Mrs. Carl could think of a project like that.  She must have been watching a movie or something.  That boring old lady wouldn’t be able to think of something this fun.  At least—I didn’t think so.

No, I did not just admit that I was kind of excited about this.

It was just your imagination!

“So are we going straight to my house today, or are you dragging me somewhere?” I asked, tossing Kyla a glance as she started the car and pulled out of the school’s parking lot.

Kyla grinned.  “Of course we’re going to your house.  I haven’t seen Garrett yet!”

She hadn’t?  I opened my mouth and closed it.  Oh yeah.  It never dawned on me that ever since Garrett arrived, only Dannon had seen him.  “Oh yeah,” I said, flashing my friend an apologetic smile before turning to look out the window.

I turned my attention to the project at hand.  How was I going to do this?  I had to question Dannon, that much was obvious.  At least we weren’t paired up while we were complete strangers.  This way it would be much easier to enjoy doing the project.  Who wanted to sit there talking about themselves to someone they didn’t know?

Hmm, what to do, what to do.

I could make a poster.  But what was so fun about that?  That was probably the least creative way to make a project.  A poster.  I hated it when teachers assigned posters for mainly that reason: they were so boring and every-day.

So, basically, I had to make something that stood out.  It wouldn’t be that hard.  All of the fangirls would be watching.  On the other hand, that’s what added so much pressure.

“Thinking about Dream Boy?” Kyla cooed.  “And speaking of which, have your parents found out about the apple yet?”

“No, they haven’t,” I replied, deciding not to acknowledge Kyla’s first comment.  “I plan to keep it that way.” 

Kyla laughed. “They’re going to find out sometime you know.  OMG you should totally put that in your project!  ‘I met Dannon because I chucked an apple at his head.’  Oh, I can just see their faces now!  Priceless!

I shook my head, snorting.  “Yeah, right.  We both know full well that my mom and dad are going to want to look at the assignment before I pass it in.  I think I would like to go without being grounded for a little while.”    

Kyla shrugged.  “Whatever, man.  Who says you’re going to get grounded because of it, anyway?” 

I shot her a disbelieving look.  “You do know my parents, right?”