Chapter Nine

a/n: chapter 9 has been completely rewritten and the original chapter 10 has been deleted, hence why the chapter's may seem off for my OG readers. Definitely one of my favorite chapters that I've rewritten.

"You did."

I could still see the broken look that crossed Liam's face when he whispered those two words. His features softened, his eyes fell to his feet, the wall of confidence that he kept up shook, but it didn't completely fall.

I would've felt bad, but I didn't even know what I did.

Our conversation replayed itself in my mind the entire night, which explained why at four in the morning, I scrambled out of bed, gathered some courage, and marched across the hotel suite towards Liam's bedroom. I pushed his door open and stood beneath the doorframe for twenty minutes, undecided as to whether I should step in or not.

His figure had yet to move in over twenty minutes, but he didn't look to be in a comfortable enough position to sleep. He rested on his back, his arms folded across his chest as though he was trying to hold himself. He knew I was there, of course he knew.

When he spoke, his voice was quiet but demanding, "You killed her."

A hundred and one questions formed in my mind, but I decided that this time, I would retrieve all the information first, then I would question. I took a cautious step inside the dark room, my eyes darting up and down Liam's frame. I was scared, unsure as to where this conversation would lead us if it kept going.

I stopped walking, noting that I may want to stay near an exit just incase.

Deducing that he was clearly talking about Ellie Mitchell, I clear my throat and suppress the shaking in my voice, "How do you kill someone you don't even know?"

"You do know her," He pauses briefly, as if he was actually struggling to finish the sentence. The bed creaks as he shifts his weight and lets out a breath, "You're her sister."

My right eyelid twitches, "Bullshit."

I turn on a dime and march out the room, heat rising to my face in annoyance and anger, possibly even regret for even considering to talk this out. I breeze past the kitchenette and stop. Liam had scrambled up off the bed and rushed to follow me, so when I spun around and pointed an accusing finger at him, my nail poked at his bare chest.

"You're lying," I shove him backwards and take a step forward, "Stop lying to yourself. I do not have a sister and I'm fairly certain if I murdered someone, like you seem to claim I did, I would remember." I take another step while Liam stands his ground, his glare only intensifying as the seconds pass. I lower my voice, "I don't know a lot of things, but what I do know is this. Your girlfriend died and your pissed, but you don't even know who you're mad at."

Liam tilts his head, but stays silent.

My lips part as I plan to continue, but stop once I analyze the look that had crossed Liam's face. He wasn't listening to a word I said, that, or he was letting everything go through one ear and out the other. I huff and wave him off, continuing my journey back to my bedroom. I'd rather not waste my breath.

"I'm sorry you lost your girlfriend," I add.

"And I'm sorry you lost a sister."

I stomp my foot like a tantrum-throwing three year old and whirl around with my fists clenched, "Will you cut it with the sister cra—"

"7 years ago, you hit your head in a car accident—"

I take a step back, shaking my head, "Liam."

"You and Ellie were in the backseat, your mother and father in the front."