The Best Man & The Bridesmaid

I’m jet lagged. It’s official. I don’t think I can even see where I’m going at 9 in the morning. Ugh, when did London get so sunny? I put my sunglasses on to shield my eyes from the unusual summer sun in February and walk into arrivals to collect my luggage before meeting my older brother Luke. It’s his wedding today, you see; I’ve flown back especially for him after doing some travelling around Europe.

To make the ceremony that extra bit more ‘romantic’ as Luke told me, they are sealing their vows of love on today of all days-Valentine’s Day. That just makes me feel even more depressed that I haven’t got someone to spoil rotten today like the rest of the world on Valentine’s Day and the fact that I am attending my brother’s wedding on it really tops it off.

I follow the crowd of people out into arrivals so I can meet Luke who is picking me up to take me back to the hotel where they’re going to get married. I scan the crowd looking for my lanky, blonde brother, when I notice not my brother, but a familiar, petite body and hair just like… ‘Poppy? Is that you?’ I call out.

Then turns around the most beautiful woman in the world; Poppy. God she looks so gorgeous today. She’s got these tight fitting leggings on with some beige Uggs and an adorable oversized grey jumper with her beautiful wavy locks pushed back by a hair band. She gives me a huge wave and runs to me at full speed as I scoop her into my arms for a big hug and spin her around in the excitement ‘Hello Popsicle,’ I coo into her ear excitedly.

‘Caleb!’ She exclaims excitedly. ‘It’s been so long!’

She pulls away so she can see my face and just looks at me with that deep, meaningful look as she gently touches my cheek and grins, ‘Look at you! Gosh, Luke never told me you had changed so much. Look at your hair! You know I’ve always preferred it longer and curlier,’ she says as she starts to spin one curl around her dainty little fingers.

I grin and ask ‘So why are you picking me up instead of Luke?’ Is it because she actually wants to see me? Please God.

She tosses her hair back and waves her hands expressively as she tells me, ‘Oh, Luke was freaking out he wasn’t going to get ready in time if he came here so I said I’d come and get you, and anyway, it’s been way too long since I’ve seen you.’

‘Way too long,’ I echo with a smile.

She walks besides me back to her car and I kind of tower over her perfect height of around 5ft5. She walks along with such a casual grace that makes me just want to stop and hug her.

The truth is I love Poppy. Yeah, I really, really, really love her; every time I see her I fall in love with her all over again-yeah, soppy, I know. I know I shouldn’t allow myself to because I don’t think she feels the same way as I do; hopelessly in love with her, but it’s hard not to when she’s just…so damn perfect. I mean, yes she has stunning looks, but her quirky, slightly blunt and beautiful personality is what gets me. That look she expresses when she’s thinking is so beautiful, I melt each time.

Poppy very quickly became a constant part of my life ever since I was six years old. She moved in next door to me when she was eight and despite her being closer to Luke for obvious reasons that they were in the same class at school, she was my friend too. She valued my friendship and I loved hers.

I still see her as my girl next door who I just can’t have.

I really miss growing up, because I grew up with Poppy, seeing her on a day to day basis, just as her normal self, not asking to impress anyone, or wanting attention, just being Poppy, the girl who would just hang out with me and Luke as a friend.

A friend. That’s all I am to her.

She points the direction to where she’s parked her car and I ask her what she’s wearing to the wedding. ‘Oh it’s lovely actually; Hannah did an amazing job in getting this gorgeous lilac dress that fitted everyone.’