Chapter 4

“How exactly am I alive?” I asked Emery.

“I told you, your coat came undone at the right moment. Any later and you would have been a pancake.” He said with a smirk on his face.

“Oh, well will you walk me home? I don’t want to ride the bus that almost ran over me.” I said.

“Oh, sure. No problem, But are you sure you want to walk in this freezing wasteland?” He said over dramatic and humorously.

“Oh, I’m sure I’ll survive.” I said putting the back of my hand on my forehead. “But wait, won’t you slip and fall on the ice?” I asked not thinking of his blindness.

“Trust me, I’ll be fine. Just hold onto my arm.” He said.

“Oh, sure I don’t want you to slip.” I said kindly.

“No, I meant so that way “you” don’t slip.” He said seriously. I let it go and we started walking home.

“How did you become blind?” I know I shouldn’t have asked, but I was really curious.

“Well, it’s actually quite a long story, but it all has to do with learning a lesson.” He said.

“Learning a lesson? From what?” I asked shocked. 

“My Father.” He said seriously. I couldn’t believe this.

“Wait, so your father blinded you!?” I asked.

“Yes. But he has a plan.”  I stopped dead in my tracks.

“Isn’t that child abuse?” I asked wondering what type of father would blind his own son.

“Well, not with my father.” He said.

“Not with your father? Doesn’t he realize it’s child abuse no matter who you are? Have you ever gone to the authorities about this?” I asked frantically. 

“Oh no, it’s fine.” He said smiling.

“I don’t understand, how are you ok with this? How are you smiling!?” I said.

“I trust my father.” He said smiling. We started walking again.

“How can you trust someone whose blinded you?” I asked melancholy. 

“Because, if you knew my father. You’d know his plan is great.” 

What is he in, some kind of cult? 

“So, have you learnt your lesson?” I asked more sarcastically than seriously.

“Apparently not. I’m still learning.” He said, with an even bigger grin on his face.

“I really don’t understand you.” I said confused and flustered. He grinned.

“Ya know, you’re awfully cute when you’re confused.” He stopped, and for once blushed. I laughed, and then realized what he had said.

“Well then.” I said still smiling. “You’re not half bad looking yourself.” I couldn’t believe I just openly said that. “I can’t believe I just said that.” Why did I say that out loud? I’m so stupid!

“It’s ok, at least we’re in agreement.” He said still blushing.

“Yeah I guess.” I said, trying not to show my own embarrassment. “So, what was this lesson that you were supposed to learn?” I asked. He got a different look on his face.

“Do we have to talk about this now?” he asked. I could clearly tell he wanted to drop it.

“Well, if you don’t mind, I’d kind of like to know.” I said. I was being a jerk, and I knew it. I don’t know why I had to know so badly.