Chapter 31: Jol

The next morning I came back from the river to a ghostly sight. I thought my eyes were betraying me. I search the house, then the stables, pens and barns. I found animals, but no humans. Many pigs were missing from the stalls, but Svana said they would be slaughtered. A few dogs wandered around, unfazed by the absence of their masters. But I was not. What had happened? My first fear was a raiding party, yet there was no sign of fight. The snow had been squashed into brown mush by multiple feet and gave me no clue as to where they were headed.

Panic was settling in. I stood in the middle and screamed: "Is there anyone here? Answer me, for the love of God!"

Mildred stepped out of her home, rolling her eyes. "Don't be so dramatic, Sunngifu. They are all at the temple, for the sacrifice."

A sacrifice? I frowned, remembering Svana mentioning it. "Where is the temple and why are you not with them?"

"I am Christian like you, Sunngifu. I didn't renounce my beliefs, my husband did not request it from me. And the temple is beside the trading place, it is a suitable location for those living further up the valley, they can come by boat."

I knew nothing about heathen practices, and I was curious. So I asked: "What are they doing there?"

She shrugged. "A ceremony of sorts. They will slit the throat of a horse and a few pigs and keep the blood. They will be sprayed with it as a blessing, or so I was told. I never saw it. We will eat the meat during the festivities. Lord Einarr is their priest, you should ask him."

"These are evil practices. It is witchcraft!" I signed myself. I certainly wouldn't question Lord Einarr about it. And I wouldn't eat any meat consecrated to pagan Gods.

Mildred shook her head. "They do not worship any devil. As we both know, there is only one God. I believe that they simply call him a different name."

I stared at her disapprovingly. She had spent too much time with these people, she was partial to them. And she was married to one. Clearly, she didn't want to face the truth. I would be wasting my efforts trying to reason her. "When will they be back?"

"In the middle of the afternoon, they left soon after breakfast and it is a long enough walk."

I grinned. There went my chores for the day. I had already completed the laundry and the cook wasn't there. I would be able to rest.

As if reading my mind, Mildred added: "Come to my house, we can share a cup of tea."

I followed her into her home. It was very small compared to Lord Einarr's residence, yet welcoming and comfortable. Colored tapestries adorned the wall. As I admired them, Mildred's cheek flushed in delight.

"I made these, I have a lot of time in the summer when my husband is away."

"They are beautiful, you are talented."

A whole face set aflame and she hid her embarrassment by fussing over the kettle. "I like weaving, that's just what I do best."

I didn't wish to bother her, so I walked around the room while she prepared an herbal brew. According to my nose, we were going to drink peppermint. Mildred's husband was wealthy enough. The room was a good size, and while in poorer dwellings animals slept aside their owners, the space here was reserved for human habitation. The traditional benches ran along the walls, a comfortable bed squeezed between them on one side. Embroidered curtains preserved the privacy of the sleeping couple. Furs and cushions covered the hard wood where slaves and servants rested. Bunches of dry herbs hung from the beams, their scents embalming the air. I sat down by the hearth, enjoying the warmth.

"Here, drink!" Mildred handed me a steaming cup. I took it and sipped carefully. Definitely mint, and a touch of honey. I leant back and savored the sweet taste. It was a blessed moment; I didn't have to hurry to do my work, worry about the weather, or the risk of meeting Lord Einarr.

"How long have you been married Mildred?" I knew so little about her.

"It has been two years at the end of the summer."

"How comes you don't have children?" I regretted my words as soon as they left my mouth. "I'm sorry Mildred. I shouldn't have asked you this."

She stared at the fire, ignoring my apology. "I was once, I miscarried. It was a little girl. I caught a fever and she didn't survive. And then my husband was gone, we didn't get a chance to try again..."

"I am truly sorry, forgive me for reminding you this." I needed to learn to think before I spoke. My tendency to forget had got me in enough trouble.

"I am fine Sunngifu. I have come to terms with it; it was God's will, He took back my little angel. And besides," she rubbed her stomach, "it is still early days, but I think I might be expecting again."

"Congratulations, I'll pray for you to deliver a healthy baby!" I was happy for her. Although it made me a bit uneasy. I pulled on my dress so that it wouldn't cling to my swollen belly. I had hoped to reveal my condition to Mildred, but doing it now didn't feel right. If she wasn't with child, she might resent me for parading my success in front of her. So I held onto my cup and waited for an opportunity to retire.

 The longhouse was crowded that night. It was the first banquet of Geol (Old English for Yule) and a spectacular one it was. I was merely an observer, having eaten before the members of the household came back. I would not partake in the devil's offerings.

Huddled in a corner behind Lord Einarr, half hidden by a curtain, I listened to the toasts, and watched them dance to the sound of the flute and drums. Hrefna hovered around her master, a wide grin plastered on her face. She refilled his cup every time it left his lips, missing no occasion to brush her breast or her hip against him. I averted my eyes, disgusted. If he thought me wanton, what would he call her? My only comfort was that he seemed oblivious to her behavior.

They had brought back a man I didn't recognize, but when he stood, harp in hand, I understood. He was a scop (bard). The room was suddenly silent as he intoned his first tale. While I didn't grasp all the words, I couldn't but pay attention. His voice had a magical quality; it was deep, and smooth, like thick honey. He spoke of a tall tree, of giants and ogres, of gods and trolls.

My head was becoming heavy when he began to sing. The men sang along, clapping loudly. They called for another one, and another after that. It went on forever and I silently cursed them. I was tired, my eyelids were drooping but there wasn't a chance I could sleep with their noise.

Fumbling for something to tear in frustration, my hands grasped my belt. That's when I felt it. A shift under my fingers. I placed my palms on my belly, searching for the source of the disturbance. And there it was. A kick. It was too strong to be its hand. I was glad that Lord Einarr couldn't see my face. I looked at my little bump in pure amazement. Until then this child was only a guess, a vague idea. I knew it was there, yet I still had a doubt. Now I had proof. My baby was there. And I would do anything to protect it.