Rude Fans and Rude Authors

Wow, is this going to be hard to write without insulting some of my favorite people in the world. Okay, so I have a serious issue here, and I've noticed it most in the creepypasta fan fiction fandom.

There are five kinds of people.

1. All read, no write.

2. Mostly read, some write.

3. Equal read, equal write.

4. Mostly write, some read.

5. All write, no read.

I fall under the number four category. I do mostly write, but I'll scan a story to see how I like it if the title interests me.

However, the number one people and the number five people (while this doesn't apply to all of either of these groups) have some serious issues. Like, serious.

Let's start with the "Update or Jeff/BEN/Fucking Peter Pan will kill you if you don't update" people. Never do this. Ever.

Writing "Update" is one of the best things you could do for an author. It allows them to know someone wants the story to continue on.

However, it is so important to make sure you're not overwhelming the author. So important. That can cause stress. Really bad stress. And causing stress is not something you want to do. Just write update and be done.

This sort of thing causes authors to quit, the exact polar opposite of what you want to happen.

Remember that three or so month long break I just want to? Well, besides being burnt out, having personal issues, and dealing with school, this sort of constant overwhelming feeling of "epdate, update, update" absolutely killed me.

And I did kind of warrant it. I neglected all of my stories for a good period of time just to finish and concentrate on Bloody Little Girls. That is my fault. I will take blame.

But every day, I was getting PMs telling me how much I needed to update one story in particular, and I got tired.

Now, to the category five people. Your biggest offense is your innability to take criticism. When someone gives you an honest flaw, you fix it. You fix it right then and there and if you don't then you deserve the criticism. Don't block people for saying your story was imperfect.

No story is perfect.

The Killer's Girl had so many flaws it isn't even funny. Jeff was an unlikable douche bag, it was built on the idea that I thought I could try to fix a cliche (which in my opinion, I failed miserably at), and some chapters still have yet to be edited, leaving walls of text with lines of dialogue in the same paragraph.

However, when you get a comment telling you your story is the worst ever with no actual criticism, ignore it. They're just an asshole.

Not everyone in category one and five are flawed like this, really. But some have to get some of their behaviors under control to keep from seeming a little relentless or too butthurt.