Chapter 9

“How long have you been awake for?” I asked in a sleepy voice.

I could feel him staring at me for the last ten minutes. He was propped up on one elbow and was looking down at me with his piercing green eyes. I ran my fingers through his disheveled black hair and could see a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

“I haven’t been awake that long, how are you feeling?”

I touched the side of my face and felt a jolt of pain shoot through me. I winced and quickly pulled my hand back.

I looked up at Kal whose lips were in a thin line and his face was bright red. I knew he was trying hard not to show his anger so I slowly brought up my hand and cupped it to his face. His eyes softened a bit but I knew his anger hadn’t subsided. I dropped my hand and let out a sigh.

“Does it look as bad as it feels?”

“No, I’m sure you won’t be able to tell by the end of the day. Your wolf blood will make it heal pretty quickly,” he said touching my jaw gently.

“Well if you think this is bad, I’m pretty sure Tommy can’t have children anymore. I kicked him pretty good.”

“Whitney you shouldn’t joke about this. He had no right to hit you or force himself on you,” said Kal, his voice gruff and full of emotion.

“I know Kal, I’m just trying to get you to calm down. The last thing we need is for you to hurt him and make my Dad go crazy. The punishment should be made by the pack leader, my father, not you. I do appreciate it though.”

“Okay,” he said and fell back on his pillow.

I looked around the room and my eyes fell on a picture of his family. It was a photograph of the whole family, including Mary. I couldn’t help but allow the hurtful words of Mary to invade my thoughts. I quickly got up and headed for the bathroom.

“Where are you going?” asked Kal.

“I need to get home; my mom has no idea where I am. I told her I would be spending the night at one of my friend’s houses and I think Rachel will notice that I’m not at school.”