Chapter 14

"You guys, I'm fine." Luna was still protesting long after the actual incident, having been confronted again after nearly falling down while exiting the bath. All four boys stood in front of where she sat on the counter, arms crossed and expressions concerned. Even Sirius, who normally looked at her with contempt these days, seemed to find her health more important than their argument.

"You need to go to the infirmary. Especially with a full moon coming up- Who knows what the effects could be." Remus spoke, his tone soothing. Luna didn't buy it. Instead she narrowed her eyes, moving to scoot off the counter and scowling at the boys when all of them started forward to help her. Raising a hand, she stopped them from doing so and set her feet on the ground. The movement made her head rock a little, but she wasn't going to let them know that.

"You can't force me to go. I just need some sleep is all, and I'll be fine by morning." She said it confidently, wanting to step forward but having the feeling that if she did so, she'd only be moving closer to the floor.

The four boys in front of her seemed to consider this, all exchanging looks before they came to a conclusion.

"I'll take her." Sirius decided, handsome face hardening with the decision. Luna gasped in offense.

"Hell no! You stay the hell away from me, Sirius Black." Luna snapped leaning back against the counter in order to step away. The other Marauders appeared rather welcome to the idea though, and when Luna sought out Remus for support he gave her an apologetic look.

"You need to go." He said, and when Sirius's back was turned, mouthed 'Talk things out.'

Luna scowled at him, feeling betrayed. James sighed, rubbing at his eyes behind his glasses.

"C'mon, Luna- It's late, and they're right. Especially with a full moon coming up." He admitted. "Just go to make sure, okay?"

"James." Luna whined as the Gryffindor boys began to exit out of the portrait. Remus looked back at her one last time, giving an encouraging smile and thumbs up before he left, and Luna was alone with Sirius. Sirius stared at her reproachfully, and Luna stared back at him, her fingers gripping the marble of the sink in a weak attempt to anchor herself there.

"How come you offered to take me?" She asked with a faint sneer, leaning back against the mirrors. Sirius shrugged.

"I'm a decent human being."

"Are you?" Luna raised an eyebrow, pleased when Sirius scowled at her. She wasn't sure why irritating him gave her such a thrill, but it did. Without a word he moved forward, and Luna leaned back as far she could, refusing to comply with whatever he was trying to do.

"What are you doing?" She asked distrustfully, very aware of the corner she was in. Sirius sighed, fingers raking through his hair in a frustrated manner.

"I'm going to carry you, because I'm not sure you can walk."

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't want you to."

"Then we'll both stay here, freezing." He reasoned, and Luna watched as he stood there in front of her, arms crossed and gray eyes staring up at her defiantly. Luna glared back at him, annoyed, and the growing throbbing in her head certainly didn't help. But she wasn't going to tell him that.

"Just leave, if you're gonna be a baby about it."

"I'm the baby?" Sirius scoffed. "At least I'm not refusing help that I obviously need."

"I don't need anyone's help." Luna insisted. "Especially yours."

"Why not? What's so bad about me?" Sirius said, scowling up at her. "What's actually so bad about me? Because you seem like you need to keep reminding yourself."