Legacy - Part 26

Ninety-eight

Excited about going to Italy with Phillip, Mali daydreams of the future. Sitting in front of her dresser brushing through her hair, she lets her thoughts flow freely, imagining her life with Phillip, picturing their children, seeing herself growing old with him. She smiles at her reflection, trying to see what Phillip sees when he looks at her.

She is adding a little more foundation to cover the scar better when the doorbell rings. Thinking Phillip has arrived early, she runs down to answer the door, a wide smile lighting her face. However, as soon as she opens the door, the smile completely disappears.

"Hello, baby." Jake grins at her shocked expression. "Surprised to see me?" He enters uninvited.

"I wouldn't exactly say that," Mali says, annoyed by his usual brashness. Her ex-husband is the last person she wants to see and yet here he is, standing in her home. And nothing about him has changed. He is still as full of himself as ever. "What are you doing here, Jake? No, correction, what do you want?"

He chuckles. "Do I need a reason to come by?"

Mali takes a deep breath, tempering her anger. "I haven't seen you since I left the courthouse after our divorce was final. Of course, you have a reason. You have an ulterior motive for everything you do. So, spill it." His sly smile unnerves her even more. Why she married him, she'll never know. Even his beach-boy good looks have no effect on her the way they once did. Everything about him is repulsive.

"Well, I did hear about your new boyfriend. I came by to congratulate you on actually nabbing someone. Is there anything wrong with that?"

She snorts. He is so predictable it's laughable. "Well, thank you for your heartfelt good wishes. They mean about as much to me as you do."

Shaking his head, he again chuckles softly. "Ah, Mali, baby, that's what I miss about you. You always gave it to me straight." His demeanor sobers. "I really have missed you."

Yeah, I'll bet you have. "What do you want?" she asks, all patience gone.

He shoves his hands deep into his pockets, finally coming to the point. "I want us to get back together."

What?! "You have got to be kidding. What, are you bored with your latest conquest already?"

He looks away. "We decided it wasn't there for us anymore. Besides," he says, reaching out, touching her hair, "I realize now how wrong I was to let you go."

Mali recoils from his touch. "I get it," she says acidly. "You're bored with your new toy and now you want your old one back since someone else is interested in it." She shakes her head. "You are pathetic, you know that? Even if I weren't involved with someone else, there's no way I would ever take you back. It wouldn't be worth the heartache."

His eyes move to the scar on her face and he smiles. "No, you are the one who is pathetic. And as far as heartache goes, I'm sure you will have your fair share soon enough. When the poor sap you've managed to get your hooks into finally stops feeling sorry for you and really takes a good look at you, you will wish you had taken my offer."

"Like you are so great! At least I know he loves me, imperfections and all."

"Yeah, you keep telling yourself that and you might actually convince yourself. But you'll learn soon enough, and by then it will be too late. And my offer will be void."

Squeezing her eyes shut, she clenches her hands, her knuckles turning white. "Get out of my house," she said with quiet vehemence.

Jake's smile is triumphant. "Don't worry, baby. I'm going. But you just remember what I told you. One day you'll regret not giving us another chance." And with that, he turns and leaves.