Chapter 4

I woke up with a start and regretted it immediately. As a shifter I healed pretty quickly but sometimes the deep wounds took a little longer. It felt like I had suffered quite a few of those.

I chanced a look around the room and smiled at the small body near my feet. Chris was sleeping peacefully all while clinging tightly to my leg.

It was nice to know that at least one positive thing was going to come from being kept here.

The door suddenly swung open and made slightly jump. It was enough to make my body ache but not enough to wake up Chris.

“Oh thank goodness you’re awake,” exclaimed Kate.

“How did I get here?” I croaked.

Kate turned a bright red color and looked down at the bowl, pretending to be busy.

“Uh hello Kate, how did I get here?” I asked, starting to become impatient.

She blew a piece of hair out of her face and glanced up at me. “Kalmin brought you here two nights ago.”

“Is there something I’m missing?” I asked, slightly lifting myself up. “Why are you blushing?”

“Oh gees Whitney, you were stark naked and he was only wearing shorts.”

I didn’t know what to say so I quickly changed the subject.

“How bad are my injuries?” I asked, trying to lift my arms.

“Stop,” said Kate swatting my hands. I accidently let out a growl and quickly brought up my hands to my mouth.

“I’m sorry Kate, what were you going to say about my injuries?” I asked, making sure my voice sounded as sweet as possible.

“It’s okay. You had a good piece of skin taken out of your neck but that will heal soon enough. The only scar you might have is the one on your shoulder. That one was pretty bad. The teeth went in deep and tore some muscle. It will mend itself just take it easy”

I felt tears form in the corner of my eyes. “Why won’t anyone listen to me? I need to go home. Everyone is probably worried sick and I have my first volleyball game.”