16

Bombs were going off at every second all around me. Smoke was everywhere. I couldn't focus. I couldn't breathe. Where was Jared? Was he alright? I tried to look around the battle field and spot him but my eyes couldn't focus in on anything. They kept moving around in my skull like I wasn't in charge of my body any more  Things were starting to turn fuzzy and my limbs felt like they were filled with iron lead.

"Jared?" I asked again, turning my head to the sides. A bomb went off at my right, making me fly into the air and land with a thud. I couldn't feel pain. I needed to find Jared.

"Jared!" I yelled this time. Where was he? I need to get to him before it's too late! I need to protect him! A loud, high-pitched screeching sound came from the sky above me. I looked up just in time to see the fighter planes drop missile after missile onto the battle field. I dropped to the floor and shoved my face into the dirt while my arms wrapped over my head to protect myself. I felt sharp shards of shrapnel dig their way into my flesh. 

Still, there was no pain.

How was I not dead yet? Surely I should be dead. 

"Katie!" Someone shouted from above me. I looked up to meet the face that I have been searching for since I got here. 

"Jared!" I shouted, relief washing over me as I took him in. He wasn't dead! 

"You need to leave! Go find Niall! Now!" He shouted, looking from side to side as if he were trying to find something.

"What?! No! I came to find you! I came to save you! Come with me!" I shouted back. I couldn't leave him here! I came to find him! I need to make sure that he is okay! I need to make sure that he won't die out here!

"I can't, Katie! This is my job! I can't leave! Now go! Go find Niall! Get out of here!" He shouted again, this time hauling me to my feet and shoving me back a few steps. 

"Then quit! You know I hate your job! Quit it and come home!" The tears that I have trapped in for so long were finally let free as they ran down my face. "Come home! We all miss you! Please!"

"Katie, I can't! You need to run!" He said, a look of panic in his eyes as he looked at something behind us. A new group of enemy soldiers has arrived. 

"Run with me! We can leave together! You don't have to die!" I was screaming now.

"NO KATIE! GO! RIGHT NOW! THAT'S AN ORDER!" He pushed me back one more time before turning around and running the opposite way from me. I tried to run after him but for some reason my legs wouldn't move fast enough. It was like I was in slow motion, but everyone else around me were moving fast. The soldiers were running towards Jared now; guns raised and pointed at his retreating figure. Oh my God, they are going to shoot him! 

"RUN! JARED, RUN! RUN!" I screamed, pure horror leaking into my voice as I yelled for him to run. "PLEASE! LEAVE HIM ALONE!" I shouted to the enemy soldiers. Surely they would spare him if they knew he had a family that cared about him, right? I'm positive that they would. "RUN JARED!"

The soldiers fired.

"NO! NO NO NO!"

My big brother slumped to the ground.

Dead.

"Katie!" Someone shouted from above me. I was shaking. Someone was shaking me.

"Jared?!" I croaked, panicked. It felt like my throat was on fire; like I had just been screaming. 

"Katie, open your eyes. It's me." The voice said. That's weird. It's not Jared's voice.