17 - Betrayal

Eleanor sat down on the footboard of the bed, her quivering hands clasped together. If it wasn't for the medicine the pack doctor gave her, she wouldn't be so calm, she would feel something, she should have, but she just felt empty.

The door opened and Isaac walked into the room with Noah in his arms. "Eleanor."

She shook her head, feeling her eyes burn with tears. "I can't do this. I'm having difficulty precessing everything. It feels like a dream, a horrible dream."

He approached her and grasped her chin, tilting her head back so their gazes could meet. "I know exactly how you feel."

"No you don't. It's my fault he is dead."

"No it's not."

"That arrow was for me, not him, but he ran in the way...why would he do that?" Now, the tears came out, the medicine no longer keeping the agonizing pain threatening to devour her whole at bay.

"He did it because he loved you and would never permit you to get hurt."

"Well, he shouldn't have done that." She shouldn't have done what she did. She should have dealt with Brayden on her own...or perhaps turned Walter human. If she would have done that, he would still be alive.

"Come on," he stretched out his hand and hesitant, Eleanor took it. Even if it tore her heart apart, she had to see him one last time and say goodbye. Her legs trembled as she left the room, headed down to the ground level where everyone was, paying their respects. As she entered the large hall at the end of the foyer, her body became numb with pain.

If it wasn't for Isaac's hold on her arm, she would have collapsed from the pain at the sight of the man she loved inside a white coffin with golden tribal marks that intertwined every symbol of all the packs.

As she stopped beside it, she held on to Isaac, afraid she might drop to the ground any minute. She said nothing as she reached out her other hand and ran it along his jawline, hating how cold he felt.

"This is all your fault!" Before Eleanor could react, a hand impacted her cheek, but did little damage. She stared in complete disbelief at Aaliyah, who was now being held back by Anthony.

How dare she make such scene.

When Eleanor ignored her, she kept screaming things. "You killed him so that you could be with your mate!" Then she addressed Jazmin who stood beside Adeline. "You're a fool if you trust your husband blindly! He doesn't love you, never has, never will-"

The Queen slap stopped Aaliyah halfway through her sentence. "Don't you dare disrespect my son's funeral. Take her out of here and don't let her back in."

"I'm not leaving without my son."

"You will." Aaliyah screamed as they dragged her out of the room. For a moment, Eleanor felt bad for Aaliyah; she was hurting as she was, but she soon pushed it aside. Then, she remembered the arrow meant for her, not for Walter. For the longest, she stared into the distance, feeling her heart ache.

"Eleanor." Isaac placed a hand on her shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze.

She met his gaze before storming out of the house. As she came to a halt feet from the warriors forcing Aaliyah out of the premises, she fought back tears and ordered them to release her.

"You did this...the guilt is killing you, isn't it?"

"What are you talking about?" She pretended to not know what Eleanor spoke off. Of course she would, if she admitted it, she would be executed.

"That arrow was meant for me—you wanted me gone so you could have him. You killed him." Strong hands held Eleanor back, and as the pain subsided she knew it was Isaac. "You just couldn't let him go, could you? You couldn't allow him to be happy. Are you satisfied? We both lost him!"