Chapter 2

“Owww, what the… hey where am I?” I hissed, blinking my eyes rapidly.

My arms were bound behind my back and my feet were tied to a chair. I tried wiggling around for a bit but it only made the ropes dig deeper into my wrists and ankles, causing a deep burn.

“Would you knock it off!” shouted a croaky, bossy voice.

I stared at the entrance and listened for the voice again. An older woman walked in carrying a tray of food. My stomach made an audible growl and she shot me an angry glare.

“Yeah like I can control my stomach,” I snapped, my nostrils flaring.

“Will you shut up already? You’re going to wake the children. If I hear one cry from them I’m going to make you rock them all back to sleep.”

 With each word she spoke she dug her finger deeper into my chest. I tried pulling away and let out a sigh of relief when she finally took a step back.

“Rocking them would be impossible if you kept me like this.”

She bent down on one knee and untied the ropes, shaking her head in anger. I could feel the blood begin to flow back to my achy arms and feet. I grabbed my head as a searing pain shot through it. My head felt like it was going to explode.

The lady let out a small chuckle. “Kalmin did say you hit your head pretty hard last night. The lump healed but I figured you’d have a bad headache.”

She placed two small pills and an ice pack on the food tray. I glanced up at the lady with a raised eyebrow. Did she really think I was that stupid?

I pushed the tray aside and folded my arms. “Where am I?”

“Oh honey you’re in our territory now. You jumped the fence last night and ran into a tree. We couldn’t just leave you there to die."

I bit my lip and glanced around the room anxiously. My dad was going to kill me if he found out I was here. I needed to escape now before too much damage was done. There was one window in the room and if I could just get through this lady…