I jumped into the front seat of our new car while Scott sulked his way into the back. He knew better than to give me a hard time for taking the front.

All the neighbors stared as we drove past. I knew they were looking at our car. My dad spent a fortune on it. Being a doctor did have its perks.

The ride on the way to school was the same as always. My mom complained about work while Scott and I pretended to listen. For only being thirteen, he was pretty smart. Although I would never admit that to him since his head might blow up. I smiled at the thought of his large head exploding. It was childish but I needed some kind of humor to keep me entertained.

My mom pulled over and unlocked the doors with a swipe of her finger. "Okay guys we're here. Have a good day and I love you both."

"Love you too," we muttered in unison.

We walked towards our separate groups and didn't once glance back at each other. Here we liked to pretend that neither of us were related.

Shannon and Ashley both ran up and gave me a hug. We had been friends since kindergarten and practically knew everything about each other. Besides, who else could know all your dirty secrets and still think highly of you. That was the honor code of best friends and we all lived up to it.

"Did you go hunting with Tommy last night?" asked Ashley, trying to hide her smile.

"Yes, but my parents ruined it by calling me in early. I hate this new rule of having to answer to my dad because he's the Alpha of our family. That was one perk of not being able to shift yet."

It was annoying having to obey my father but I secretly enjoyed his status. He was the Alpha of the whole pack which consisted of almost ten thousand shifters. It was the largest pack in the United States and gave her family a lot of power.

"Oh totally," said Shannon, looking exasperated. "The other night I went to a movie and my dad accidentally howled in his sleep. Well I got super embarrassed because I had no choice but to leave. I was so furious with him! He knows he's not supposed to fall asleep as a wolf."

Ashley and I let out a laugh, giving each other a quick glance. We tried to stifle it by putting our hands over our mouths but it was already too late. Shannon narrowed her eyes and took turns pointing a finger at each of us.

"Oh great guys," she snapped. "I'm glad you're making fun of me because my dad's a sleep howler."

"Oh Shannon lighten up. We were just playing," I said, giving her a friendly smile.

The both of us nudged her playfully until we saw a smile forming at the corner of her lips. It was always easy to make her forget about arguments. That's what I loved about these two girls. They never held grudges.

I walked into class just as the bell rang. Wow, that was a close one. A little too close since my teacher was giving me a withering look.

"Hurry up and take your seat Miss Moon," said the teacher as he tapped his pen on the desk.

I guess you could say our last name wasn't unique but I loved it. Moon was one of the oldest Wolf tribes in the city. We were the first people to make our way here and establish a home. Now the city of Brooks was entirely made of shifters. Not just any shifters but powerful wolf shifters. There were rumors that other types of shifters existed in the world but she didn't care enough to ask.

English seemed to drag on forever. I kept looking at the clock every five minutes just waiting for the bell to ring. Second period, lunch, and gym were my favorite. During those times I got to see my wickedly hot boyfriend Tommy.