Chapter Seven ۞ Plan to Fight

The tension existing between Corvan and Zion was undeniable. However, the first-ranker, like everyone else, knew how manpower was crucial in every assignment. The non-ranker was forced out of his tantrums to help in the luring of Cifaro's pack.

The group was divided into a total of three, with each performing the different stages of the plan. Thanks to Charles's meticulousness and brainstorming with the help of Rowe and Corvan, they were able to set out the plan nicely enough for it to work. However, since it wasn't exactly polished, there was no guarantee of success.

With time to kill, Valeriana visited the tent in which the drivers and the other survivors of the recent attack were staying in. Genevieve just came out of the tent, seeming to have aged slightly after going out of her way to help and heal the others. The exhaustion was clear on her face but she still sported that same, enthusiastic smile. Valeriana gazed at her aura, which was fluttering around docily. Worriedly going over to the younger twin, she lightly touched her shoulder.

"You've done a lot, Gen." She told her. "I think you should rest before the final preparations are done."

"We still have ten minutes and Charles's still busy trying to get the familiars to cooperate. They're a rambunctious lot." Genevieve answered thoughtfully.

"Yeah, they are."

When the ninth-ranker tripped herself with her own feet, Valeriana was convinced she wasn't well. Throwing herself forward to catch the other girl, she hoisted her up to help balance her back.

"I really think you should take your rest!"

Zevlin had seen the recent display and seemed to have been irritated at the sight of his sister overworking herself. Of course, as the oldest of the two, he was sure to feel protective. Jogging over to them, he speedily went to Genevieve's side and responsibly began to take the role of an escort.

"If you aren't as stupid as a bird!" He exclaimed. "I told you so many times not to push yourself like this."

Genevieve pouted and looked down to gaze at her feet. "You know this is the only thing I could do without having to rely on you to help me."

"I know!" Eyes darted from the tent towards the girl. "But that doesn't give you any reason to work yourself out like this! You aren't a healer, Gen."

"I'm fine, alright?"

Zevlin's eyes were firm as he gazed down at her. "You will be, alright. Especially after you spend the rest of the day and maybe the next few doing nothing but resting."

"What?" Shock was evident on Genevieve's space. "Are you telling me to--"

"I'm not just telling because you're going to do it!" With that, Zevlin steered her towards their makeshift camp and started walking away. "I'm telling Charles you won't take part in this."

Genevieve calmly, but frantically, followed. "You can't do that!"

Zevlin stopped, turned, and gave his sister a glare. "Maybe you thought twice and told yourself that before. I'm sorry, Gen." He turned to an innocent bystander. "Valeriana, can you please look after her?"

"S-sure."

Genevieve fell on her rear and sulked. Valeriana knew what she felt, having to go through that part often.

"He's annoying." The healer muttered. "He's overprotective. I hate it!"

"He's only looking out for you." Valeriana interjected. "You pushed yourself a bit too far. It would've endangered you if you went there like that. Trust me, why don't you sit this one out?"