Love at first sight - Larry

What can i say about this? hmm at the moment nothing except the fact that i slaved over this story and worked my ass off. I hope you enjoy it and of course i enjoy feedback! xoxo

Love at first sight

A sunset, a rainbow, and all the magnificent colors of the world, the face of his favorite actor, singer and even his own mother, along with the beautiful simplicity of words and pictures, Harry has seen none of it. Harry has been blind for as long as he can remember.

When he was born he was seemingly perfect. He was breathing and healthy in the arms of his mother. To this day doctors still can’t unmask the truth behind his blindness. Of course doctors argue there must be something wrong with him, but the tests show differently. He is perfectly healthy and the doctors say there is no reason for him to be blind at all. Everything in his eyes works properly. He just simply does not have the power to see.

Harry still believes that he will never truly know why he was left with such a cruel fate. Why out of all the people in the world it is him who can’t see. He can’t see the face of his friends, his parents and relatives alike. He will never see the color of his hair or eyes or those of others. He can’t read or write. He can’t even talk. What does talking have to do with his sight? People will always ask. The answer, of course, is nothing. He has the ability to speak he just chooses not to. Why talk to people you can’t even see? Harry thinks. He used to talk to people of course, doesn’t every young child? As a kid Harry would sit in class not knowing if anyone was sitting next to him or not. And he would talk not knowing if anyone was listening. Sometimes they’d listen, but most times they wouldn’t. Who wants to hang inside with the blind kid at recess, right? So eventually Harry just gave up. He finally realized no one was listening, so he decided to stop talking altogether. He would talk when he needed too, of course. When a teacher asked him a question he would mumble a one-word answer, same with the other students and even his family. His parents tried to get him to speak but it was useless. He was swept off to specialist after specialist and doctors galore, but none of them truly understood. Every one of them just showed pity for him, none of them actually tried to help.

Harry’s days all start and end the same way. He gets up, struggles to get dressed, eats and sits in the kitchen waiting to go to school. He doesn’t talk, he doesn’t see, he just does. Later he comes home and his parents ask him how his day went. Even though they know they will get the same answer for 365 days straight, “good.” Because that’s all it ever was. It was never fantastic or extraordinary it was just good. But his parents never stopped asking. They would ask every single day, regardless of the circumstances, in hopes that one day they would receive something other than a ‘good’.

Little did they know that day would come shortly after Harry’s 19th birthday. For the first 19 years of his life he was blind. Sheltered from the sights the world offers. For the last 10 years he hasn’t spoken more than a few sentences to anyone. He just stays in his room wallowing in hatred for a world that made life so cruel for him. It’s a world that lets others see but not him. It’s not just the fact that he’s blind either. It’s more than that. You would think for someone who has these challenges in life the world would at least offer them something in return. Something special, an opportunity, a chance, a fortune, a destiny. For 19 years Harry waited, he waited for his chance to break free. His opportunity to spread his wings. For his real fate to finally set upon him. Lucky for Harry it only took 19 long years.

Harry’s birthday’s were dreadfully painful events. His whole family would gather at his house, he wouldn’t speak to any of them, they’d eat cake and then they’d leave. Each year it was the same thing over and over. He’d blow the candles out wishing for his fate to find him and then his birthday would be over. Gone for another year. This year was no exception. Only this year Harry started to give up hope that things would ever look up.