Epilogue

Epilogue

“Katy, baby, come on! We need to get going, like...now, if we want to get there by 5,” cries Mason from up the stairs.
“Wait...do you think this is okay?” she calls from the top of the steps in a light pink, cherry blossom, floral dress; the chiffon material cutting just above her knees and it’s short sleeves floating at her shoulders. Along her neck, exposed by the sweetheart neckline is a small teardrop necklace, given to her by Mason on her birthday. Her feet are adorned in light brown gladiator wedges and her curly hair is pinned back by two braided strands.
“Mason? Is this...too...revealing? Oh God! Should I change?” she cries receiving no answer from Mason. He was too busy gawking at her in such a gorgeous outfit. Although he’d wake up every-day to her and see her every-day, her beauty always somehow, leaves him speechless.
“What! No. No, you look great. Come down here,” he encourages. As she glides down the stairs, he picks her up on the last one and twirls her around. Giggles pass her lips as her hair spins around her.
“Simply gorgeous. Now come on, it’s a long drive and we need to get going.”
He tugs her by the hand but she remains still.
“Do you think they’ll like me? Maybe I should stay here,” she nervously queries.
“They will love you as much as I do. Please come- for me?” requests Mason trying to set her insecurities at ease.
“Okay,” she sighs following him.

“Katy, baby, how many times do I need to tell you, you look amazing,” groans Mason for the hundredth time. Katy gives her hair a quick fluff in the mirror and closes it upright before heaving a sigh.
“Sorry, sorry. I’m just nervous...Okay, let’s go.”

Mason gently squeezes Katy’s hand as he knocks on the door. The woman that opened the door looked more like a little girl than Mason’s mother. But Mason had never mentioned anything about a sister. Her brown hair is pulled into a messy bun and outfit looks like it’s made for comfort, with a pair of black leggings and oversized top.
“Mason!” squeals the girl hugging Katy’s boyfriend.
“Hey Em. When did you get here?” asks Mason.
“Oh just a few hours ago,” shrugs Emery.
“Great. Em this is my mate, Katy. Katy this is my sister Emery-”
“Brother’s mate,” clarifies Emery not wanting Katy to assume incest in their family.
“Yes, specifically, that’s right. Now are you going to let us in?” teases Mason.
Maybe... If you know the password...”
“Emery,” flatly says Mason causing the girl to giggle and move aside. Mason lightly pushes Katy in with a hand urging her at her lower back.
“Rachel! Zack! Guys! Guess who’s here!” cries Emery, her wails echoing throughout the house as Mason and Katy make their way into the lounge.
In just about a year, Emery had managed to become a large part the Carter family, and they all loved her. Both Zack and Rachel treat her like the young daughter they never had, and the other Carter brothers all considered her their little innocent sister. And although she may not be so innocent being a mate to a Carter boy and all, they still love having someone to be protective over and tease endlessly.

“Honey Bee, there’s no need to shout the house down. That’s Eli and Ade’s job, remember” frowns Dane, the grimace easing as she kisses his cheek apologetically.
“Mom, Dad, Dane; this is my mate, Katy,” introduces Mason, pulling her in closer. Katy nervously flickers her eyes over the faces of the others, briefly, before glancing back down. One of her arms clasps over the other and strokes it anxiously.
As Zack rises to his feet, the Carter family’s eyes lock onto the abrupt movement.
Katy shifts the weight on her feet, wanting desperately to flee at the gaining approximate intimidating male.
As his arms rise up to her shoulders she’s half afraid at what’s about to come but much to her shock it’s just a firm hug. A second later and Zack, pulls away, a beam on his features directed at Katy.
“No need to look so terrified, sweetheart, you’re more than welcome to the family.”
“Oh...um, thank-you...Mr Carter,” stumbles out Katy with cheeks blushing.
“Call me Zack. And this is my wife, Rachel, my youngest son Dane and of course you’ve met Emery.”
“Hi, nice to meet you all. Um, lovely home you have...Rachel,” compliments Katy awkwardly calling Mason’s mom by her first name.
“Aw, thank you sweetheart. Come-come, sit down... I just don’t know why my son’s have to wait so long before introducing me to their mates,” sighs Rachel earning a groan from Dane.
“Mom! Come on, I told you. I wasn’t keeping her from you. We’ve been over this-”
“Fine. Whatever,” snaps Rachel, dismissing the matter. Emery laughs at the over-mothering nature of Rachel and pats her arm sympathetically.

Katy gently perches on the couch seat next to Rachel and folds her hands in her lap, waiting to be spoken to.
“So Katy...tell us about yourself; how did you and Mason meet?”
Katy flickers her eyes to Mason before stumbling out, “I...sort of-”
“We met at the club,” saves Mason, his stiff tone warning his family not to pry too much into circumstances; at least not while his mate is sat right there.
“Oh, right...I see no ring on your finger, Katy,” not so subtly hints Rachel. Groans go around from Dane and Zack at the question but Katy only blush’s and gazes away.
“Mom, we’re taking things slowly,” explains Mason, softly tugging Katy up and sitting down, before replacing her on his lap. She shuffles into the most modest position she can, only for him to wind an arm around her middle and snuggle her into his chest.
“But Mason...Dane and Emery have made it very clear they’re not getting wed anytime soon and I love Eli, but even I know that that wish is wasted. And Adrian’s only relationship is his work. Now, I want to see at least one of my sons’ wed their beautiful mate before I get too old,” whinges Rachel.
“Dad,” sighs Mason, asking Zack to help deal with his mother. Apart from his father and twin, none of the other Carters could convince their strong headed mother to change her mind.
“Rachel, honey, leave off the kids. They’ll marry when want,” softly commands Zack, causing her to pout slightly and nod. She opens her mouth to speak but gets cut off by the knock at the door.
Emery rushes to get it leaving the others to guess which of the two remaining brothers it could be.

Hearing the booming laughter, it was no surprise to them it turns out to be Eli.
“Eli!” cries Rachel grabbing her son into a large hug. Eli turns it, spinning her mother around in a circle before setting her down, not being able to take her squeals.
“Mommy,” he grins into her hair before gazing at his dad and nodding a greeting at him.
“I didn’t realise we were bringing dates,” comments Eli, eyes sparkling in amusement whilst slowly taking in the woman on Mason’s lap. Now, she is...smoking. A little too innocent looking for him, but wow...he has to admit, his twin has done well for himself. Then Eli remembers the contract that Mason had sent to him and just like that the lust dimes. The strong protective urge sweeps over him just like with his little sister Emery.
“Mates, actually; Eli, this is my mate Katy. Katy, my twin brother Eli,” introduces Mason, rising to his feet. Mason sends Eli a small warning look not to try any of his flirty tricks with his mate. Katy’s not like Emery and Mason’s pretty sure that she wouldn’t bat off his comments and suggestions like Emery does. He doesn’t need to have his own brother making his mate feel uncomfortable and bringing up past memories.
“Hey, nice to meet you,” greets Eli, seeing the warning well and clear. His curious mind had already set about trying to figure out what exactly has happened to his brother’s mate and perhaps later, in private, he would ask him. But for now, even Eli knows to treat the woman delicately.
“Hi. Mason’s told me a lot about you,” grins Katy.
“Good things?” asks Eli.
“Yeah, of course.”
“Then he’s lying,” winks Eli causing her to chuckle in amusement.

“Aw and how is my little brother!” cries Eli, pulling his brother into a short hug.
“I’m younger than you by like a minute, Eli. And as you can see, I’m more than okay,” grins Mason, glancing over to Katy.
“I’ll say...I mean, is that? No...Mason Carter, did you just...smile?!” exasperates Eli causing the others to laugh.
“Hey! I do smile! You make me sound like a statute,” defensively retorts Mason, rolling his eyes.
“Well, if the shoe fits...” teases Eli. Mason lets it go, and settles back on the couch with his mate.