Chapter 10

A Rose Among Thorns

Chapter 10

Joseph

"To be honest, I thought she'd just slipped in those shoes when I first heard her scream, alpha. Who wears heels in the forest anyway?"

"Shut it, now's not the time. Did you see who attacked her?" Tabitha cut across the paint-splattered boy who sat at the kitchen table of the pack house.

By the time we'd reached the girl, the Doctor was examining her. She had been covered in blood, spouting from her neck and wrists. She was taken back here with a few of the pack girls driving a truck while he tended to her.

That was three hours ago, and here we stood interrogating each and every one of those who were present in the forest. So far, we had nothing to go on.

"No, my back was turned. It couldn't have been more than a few seconds. Damn, that's one fast vampire." He sighed.

"We don't know if it's a vampire; don't go spreading rumours that aren't true, Troy." I muttered.

"But, come on. You guys don't think that it is? What do vampires do? They bite people, they drink their blood." He said, looking between the two of us.

"I've never bitten anyone, actually." I said darkly, folding my arms and glaring at him.

"It's also possible that someone is staging these attacks to look like it was the work of a vampire, but it could be something else. Did you think of that, Sherlock?" Tabitha spat and Troy cringed ever so slightly.

"I don't think I'm all that comfortable talking to her, alpha." He said quickly.

"Nobody's comfortable talking to her, that's how we get results." I replied, still pissed by his earlier vampire comment. They all just assume I'm there to yank everyone's throats out, not help them!

"Anything suspicious we should know about, Troy?" She hissed through her teeth as she grinned at him. He shrunk back a little further in his seat.

"Umm...no."

"Then get out." She said in the same sweet, slow voice, pointing towards the kitchen door. There was no need to tell him twice, he shot out of the room before I had a chance to say any more.

I turned to her as she was collecting papers that I had strewn across the desk, breathing heavily, "Well, that was a waste of time. I'm sorry we couldn't find anything, alpha."

"I know it's not going to be easy. There are a lot of tightly wound families here; they aren't going to trust me so easily." I said, glancing warily through the window. I had about three hours until sunrise, that's when I would usually be dragged into the day sleep that all vampires were forced to endure. Only a mate in danger could wake a vampire during this time, which was both a blessing and a curse.

"You're telling me. They don't like anyone who's different, trust me. I should know." She handed the papers to the shadow, and they floated in mid air.

"How does that work, anyway? It can hold things..." My head started to hurt just thinking of how it worked.

"I know, Warren is a freak of nature. She makes confuses everyone, it helps to cause a distraction when I need it." She said, and the shadow's head flipped back in what I was sure would be a glare.

Suddenly, the door swung open to reveal the small doctor, who limped over to the fridge, gripping a metal cane.

"She alive?" Tabitha asked, watching him closely. Blood stained his shirt and lab coat.