Can We Still Be Friends?

Short crappy chapter :D

Jackie's POV

"I can't believe you're making me do this." Brian said, rubbing his temples as we walked up the hallway of the offices for the last time.

Our time in Arizona was coming to a close and I was completely tired of hearing comments coming from him and Andrew. Every single day for the past few days, I'd either hear sarcastic comments from Brian or snobby comments from Andrew.

But it was time to put a stop to them.

"Maybe you two shouldn't be acting like a bunch of seven year olds and I wouldn't have to. You two have issues to solve." I turned to him, moving my head with attitude. It was a terrible habit. "You especially. This jealousy crap can't go on anymore Brian."

He opened the door to Andrew's office, making sure to bang the handle against the wall. "Oops. I might have cracked your wall." He told him with obvious sarcasm. "I'm not paying for that."

Andrew looked at us over his glasses, removing them as they dropped on the table, "It's not like you have the money for it anyways." He pointed to the two brown leather seats infront of his desk, "What is he doing here?"

I rolled my eyes and sat my bag beside my legs on the floor. Those type of comments were the ones I was tired of. It was a constant battle between the two.

"He's my boyfriend. He has every right to be here." I stated, "I finished all the electronic checks and bank accounts for you. All trips are set with Delta Airlines. And they are getting to work on your office back in Los Angeles."

"Great. Then I guess you're free to go back home. Oh wait, I actually have something for you. I thought you might like it since we had that intimate conversation about baseball." He said rummaging through his drawers.

I may not be a child anymore, but whenever someone has a present for me, I still get excited. Specially when it has to do with baseball.

Brian scoffed, stretching back in the seat, "Intimate conversation about baseball." He repeated, looking in my direction, "Intimate moments with me at night."

I threw my head back, just waiting for a response from Andrew. Luckily, there wasn't. He took a jersey out of a drawer and held it out for me. I unfolded it, raising it up and reading the logo.

"Dodgers..." I had a bit hesitation in my voice. How else would you react if you got a jersey that you already have?! "That's cool. I don't have a blue jersey. Thanks Andrew. You're... The best."

I raised the jersey even higher to block the face that I was making. I didn't want to reject the present. That would be completely rude.

"It's not just any blue jersey, look on the back." I turned it over and saw Jacqueline 16 embroidered in white varsity letters. My jaw dropped in awe. Never had I had something with my name on it, simply because I was too cheap to get it done. "I got it made for you. That's my number, 16. Since you're my little assistant, you inherit my number."

"This is so awesome. Thank you so much! Look Brian! I got a jersey with my name on it! It's so cool! I totally got to wear this when I go to games." I sat back and admired the way my name looked.

"I could have gotten you one of those... And more." He said, standing up, about to leave the office. I could hear the hopelessness in his voice, "See you-"

"Brian, I have something for you actually. I thought since Jackie got one, maybe you should too." Andrew held up a red jersey, similar to an Angel's one. "I hope you like it."

He was uncertain at first, but Brian took the jersey from Andrew's hands and examined it. He laughed through his nose, "Brian 14..."

"For Mike Scioscia. Not quite sure if you like him, but he is the Angel's coach so I thought you'd like it." The room suddenly felt less tense. "Jackie, do you mind if I have a quick word with Brian really quick?"

"Uhhh..." I started, very hesitant to leave the two alone. It's like... Well it's EXACTLY like leaving two enemies in a room together.

"I just want to have a word, it's not like I'm going to harass him. I spent nearly ninety dollars on that jersey, if I kill him, it would be my money wasted. Trust me on this."

Brian cocked his head to the side, motioning for me to leave the room. I swallowed hard, rolled my eyes and walked out of the office.

I began to pray that they wouldn't kill each other or get into a fight. The last thing I want is to have a broken boyfriend or boss.

Brian's POV

"Have a seat. It's just a talk." Andrew said pointing to the seat where I was sat earlier. I wasn't afraid of this asshole. I'm not afraid of anyone. "Would you like some soda? Or water? I'd offer beer but I don't have any."

"No, I'm fine..." My eyes shifted down to a picture on his desk. "You look like really young here. No offense." I added quickly so he didn't think I was insulting him.

He laughed and took a sip of his water, "That was when I just stopped playing baseball. I had brown hair. This," He said pointing to his semi-gray roots, "Is stress. Don't ever get a stressful job. You'll get gray hair by the time you're 40."

"There's hair dye for that. Easy way out. So what did you want to speak about?" I asked, reclining in the chair, acting care-free. 

"I don't know why you don't like me. I know you'll ask how I know but it's obvious. I assume you see me as a threat. Am I correct?" I bit in the inside of my cheek and nodded. He was right on point. "Well I'm not. I don't want Jackie. I have a wife. She's my assistant. It's all business."

It was very hard to believe that. What kind of man looks at a beautiful woman with out wanting to put his hands on her?

"You can have as many wives as you want, I still see the way you look at Jackie. Or the way you try to impress her." I said bluntly, "You can act like you don't want Jacks, but I can tell. The way you look at her, is the same way I do. Because I've loved her."

He sneered at me with his smile, "You really have a messed up ego Brian."

"I don't have a messed up ego. I know what I got and I know what I see. I see you wanting what I got and I'd be damned if I let that happen." I made clear.

"The point is, I don't want her. I want this competition between us to stop. Can we do that? Can we be mature adults and be friends? If not friends, then can we attempt to get along? This is your girlfriend's job and she will be seeing me five days out of the week whether you like it or not."

Although it killed me to even make nice with the guy, for the sake of my relationship, I gave in. "Fine. But let me hear that you made a pass at her and I'll make your career nonexistent in a matter of seconds." I paused as I listened to myself. I sounded just like Jesse. Fuck! "What I meant was let me hear that you even looked at her in any odd way and I'll break a bat or something valuable to you."

"You got it Mr. Haner. You can leave my office now. Have a safe trip back."

"Same to you buddy." I stuck out my hand, "Acquaintances?"

"Acquaintances. You better go, your precious cargo is waiting outside for you." He said coldly shaking my hand.

"Goodbye Andrew, you'll be seeing more of me." I opened the door and stepped outside.

"Like wise." He added as I closed it.

"Well?" Jackie asked sitting down in a chair a couple of feet away from the door, "Are you two friends?"

I smiled mischievously. "Of course. He's like a member of Avenged. Come on, we gotta hit the road baby."

I took her hand in mine as we walked to the car.

If friends is what she wants us to be... then friends is what we will be.