Prologue

I could feel the life fading from me with every drop of blood that flowed from the wound in my side. I tried to place pressure against the split skin, but the knife did too much damage, the wound too large for my hand to stem the flow of my life essence spilling out. I was panting hard from exhaustion though my heart beat rapidly like it was trying to make more blood flow out of me helping me to die quicker.

I was starting to feel light headed from the lack of blood making it's way to my head. I should be glad I was already lying down on the grime-covered ground of the alleyway or I would have toppled over and hurt myself even more, since I was growing weaker by the minute. I couldn't even lift my head off the ground to look at my wound, though I don't think I'd want to. I'm sure I would be able to see my insides if I moved my hands away.

I've heard that your whole life flashes before your eyes when you're about to die. Yet here I am, a blank sleet with only the bad memories of the last few hours still fresh in my mind.

I can't even remember why I was lying on the ground dying from a wound a drunk man gave me half an hour ago as his friends watched, laughed and helped him hurt me. Nothing new there though. I'm use to being abused by the townspeople, and I don't even know why. I don't remember how I ended up on the streets, but I do know that the other people who live on the streets are not as hated as I am.

There is though a tiny memory, from who knows how long ago, that is paired with an inkling, that my parents were murdered and that could be why I was on the streets. But I lived by the day and don't really dwell on the past. That's probably why it's so easy for me to forget my parents, my past and even my name. I just don't care about much anymore besides for getting food in my stomach and a safe place to sleep at night.

At least I don't have to worry about those things anymore either since I'm dying. I don't really want to die, who does? But there's nothing I can do. I can't even feel my legs anymore, or my hands. Though surprisingly my eyes are still as clear as day and open. I could see the night sky with its pretty stars twinkling and shining without a care in the world. I wish I were a star, I wonder if I'll become one when I die...

My dying thoughts were cut off though when someone appeared over me blocking the vision of the sky I had. I looked at the person and found a woman I've never seen before.

She was absolutely stunning.

Ringlets of black night hung around her porcelain doll-like face and I was completely mesmerised by the liquid gold of her eyes I've never seen on a human before. Dots of pure black for pupils stood out amongst the rich gold of her iris' making her features look regal and otherworldly. The sight of this being made me want to ignore my ever-seeping blood and pain filled body to get up and kneel at her feet, but all I could do was stare.

A black cloak hid her body from view but I'm sure it was nothing disappointing. I watched as she knelt beside me and I was surprised when feeling came back to my face at the touch of her slim fingers on my bruising cheek.

She opened her ruby red and tantalising lips to speak yet all I saw was the movement and heard no words. Her sentence was done, her lips stilled, and she seemed to realise I didn't hear her. I felt her fingers move from my cheek and soon heard a faint ringing in my ears.

She opened her mouth again and this time I heard her voice. "Do you want to live?" She asked but I couldn't comprehend her words because I was still stuck on how wonderful her voice sounded. It was so soft and smooth like water slipping soundlessly over a leaf before dropping to the ground. It was beautiful and matched with the words she spoke, that I could finally understand, I didn't think there would be anything in this world that I would want to listen to other than her.

I admitted before that, yes indeed I wanted to live... but I don't want to continue living as I was. Abused and shut out by everyone, treated worse than the runt from a prized bitch's litter.

No, I don't want to continue this existence, this existence of being worthless and looked down upon like I was something stuck on their shoe. No, I knew I couldn't continue living like that.

I think this woman can read minds because before I could even gather the strength to answer her question she spoke. "I'll tell you what, I'll save you and even take you in under my roof if you agree to serve me for the rest of your existence. I'll give you everything that you need and want, all you have to do is become my pet and do as you're told. So, do you want to live?"

To say I was shocked would be an understatement. Seriously that whole proposition is a no-brainer. I get to live, I'll finally get a home and I'll have someone who would be relying on me. The answer was so simple that it easily slipped through my bloody and split lips.

"Yes." I breathed out.

A breathtaking smile slipped over her lips before my eyes were covered, my head was tilted to the side and an excruciating amount of pain that is impossible to even imagine tore my soul apart.

Please comment and vote if you like my story! Thank you!