Six Boxes

They gathered in the boardroom around nine in the morning, as instructed. The first arrived at exactly eight-thirty, dressed in one of his best suits and ready to impress. He got the notice from his team leader the day before, being summoned to the board room the next morning. Part of him was worried that he might be in trouble, but he had applied for a promotion less than a month before that, so part of him was hoping this might be an interview for the position, which was why he was wearing his best suit. The next person didn't walk in until fifteen minutes later.

     "Janice." he called out as she entered the room.

     "Darren." she called back as she looked around. "There are designated seats?"

     "It appears so." Darren replied as he held up a card in front of the seat he was sitting in. "There are five of them."

     "Five?" Janice repeated. "Then this can't be an interview."

     "That's what I was thinking on my way here." Darren said as he gestured to his suit.

     "Lovely." Janice said as she finally noticed. "We can't be in trouble either. Some of these people work in other divisions."

     "Morning ladies." A voice called as the third person invited made his entrance.

     "Good morning, Vance." Darren called back. "You're chipper today."

     "Well, it's not everyday the bossman calls you up to the board room." Vance said as he strolled up to the window to admire the view looking forty stories up from downtown Manhattan. "When you're in trouble, you get called to HR."

     "Is that coming from theory or experience?" Janice asked.

     "Ha ha." Vance said as he walked back to the table. "Do any of you know what this is about?"

     "No clue." Janice answered.

     "Ditto." Darren concurred. He then waved as someone else walked into the room. "Hey Jim."

     "Gentlemen." Jim called back out. "And lady." He said with a nod as he noticed Janice was there. He held up a small box. "Anyone want a donut?"

     "Not in this suit." Darren replied.

     "No thanks." Janice replied.

     "Dude, you are such a brownnoser!" Vance said as he laughed out loud. Then he stole a honey curler from his co-worker. "Thanks."

     "Not a problem." Jim replied as he found his seat. "So what's the skinny on why we've been summoned by the man on the hill. Anybody?"

     "No one has a clue." Vance said with a mouth full of donut.

     "Great." Jim said as he tossed the box onto the table after taking a Boston Cream for himself. "At least we're not being fired."

     "What makes you say that?" Janice asked.

     "Look around." Jim answered. "We are near if not the best out of our respective divisions. If I was a betting man, I'd say we all applied for the same position a month ago."

     Darren sat up when he heard that. "I applied for head of division a month ago. Did you all apply for it as well?"

      Their silence seemed to confirm the obvious. All five of them were each other's competition for a higher position in the company.