Chapter 1- Auditions

(A/N): I know this first chapter kind of sucks but I SWEAR this book gets way better. Give it a chance! ;) 

~Skylar's POV~

When I exited the building after my audition, I didn't know what to think. I was auditioning for Pitch Perfect, a movie about competitive collegiate a cappella groups. The project really interested me, especially since there's singing in it. 

I think my audition went well. There was a long hallway filled to the brim with men and women auditioning for parts. I sat down on a bench next a guy who looked to be about my age. Feeling like I should introduce myself, I said, "Hi, I'm Skylar. Who are you auditioning for?" 

Why did I say that? What if he was auditioning for the same part as me? That would be awkward.

"My name's Ben, Ben Platt. I'm auditioning for Benji."

Thank goodness. "Good, we're not auditioning for the same part!" Ben laughed and so did I. We shook hands and really hit it off. We talked for a while, about Hollywood, the best places to eat, and bragged about our past projects. 

"You were in Rent?" Ben said. "That is probably my favorite musical!"

"Mine too," I replied. "That's why I auditioned for it."

"Skylar Astin?" said a woman with a clipboard. "They're ready for you, Skylar."

"Looks like I gotta go," I said to Ben, feeling kind of sad we had to stop talking. "I hope you get Benji and I get Jesse so we can continue this conversation."

"Best of luck! See you around," Ben said as I walked to the audition room.

~Ben's POV~ 

Who was THAT guy and where has he been all my life? I stared at Skylar's butt as he walked down the hallway. He was catching the attention of more than a few girls (and guys). Sigh. Why do I always get attracted to the straight ones? 

I suddenly remembered what my real job was. I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Jason Moore, the director of Pitch Perfect. I had already gotten the part of Benji last week. Jason had told me to mingle with the auditioning crop of "Jesses" and see which ones might be good for the role. After meeting Skylar, I knew he was the one. He's funny, cute, goofy, and, since he was in Rent, I know he can sing. Skylar is Jesse.

"Jason," my text said. "Keep an eye on the one coming in now, Skylar Astin. I think he's our guy."

~Skylar's POV~

I made my way to the small room at the end of the hallway. Inside the room were four people; two producers, the screenwriter, and the director, who was on his phone texting someone. I was auditioning for Jesse. First, they had me read a couple of Jesse's one-liners, which was no trouble at all. 

"Oh, so you know German, well now I know why you don't like fun things." "I'm not drunk, you're just blurry." "Organized nerd singing. This is great!"

The really funny lines made me chuckle a little, which freaked me out because it happened when I was actually reading them. It only got harder from there, too. The screenwriter asked me to read off some of Jesse's more dramatic lines.

"You push away anyone who could possibly care about you. Why is that?"

Then came the time for me to sing. My heart started to beat faster. There was always something about performing for people that I still can't understand today. I get weak in the knees, my cheeks turn bright red, I can be such a mess. But then I just remembered all the good times I had playing Mark in Rent and Georg in Spring Awakening. Not to brag, but you could say I've had some experience.

My song choice was "Feels Like The First Time", the song Jesse sings at the Riff-Off. I don't know why I picked it; maybe it was because I felt confident singing it, and I did. 

"And I guess it's just the woman in you // That brings out the man in me."

And just like that, I finished the song, and my audition was over. The director thanked me and said they'd call me if I got the part. Fingers crossed.

When I got back to my apartment, my phone was buzzing. I checked it to see that I had a message from an unknown number. When I read what it was, my heart skipped a beat.

The text read, "Skylar, you got the part. -Jason" 

Author's Note: Hello everyone! This is my first story on here so don't judge me too hard! I will keep updating this story as much as I can! I plan on having a lot of chapters for this story and I've got some crazy stuff planned ;) To be continued!