43: I Tried

dedicated to YOOU COS YOU'VE BEEN AWESOME!! ;D

Spanish Sahara - Foals

______________________

-

.

I sat at the island staring at the dark liquid in the shot glass. I hadn't tried any of it yet and I was afraid of what it'd taste like. I was in a throbbing pain and I didn't have much of a choice but to drink the shot.

I picked up the glass and took it.

I sighed and smiled. It tasted just like blackberries actually. It was refreshing. The pain didn't subside right away but as I rolled my shoulders, it numbed slightly and I sighed in relief.

And then Tristan just had to come along and slap me on the back. I retaliated immediately and punched him in the ribs. He stumbled over and fell onto his back with a thump. I smirked down at him and stepped over him. Maryanne walked past me with a nod of the head and walked into the kitchen.
That's what'd I'd been getting from her lately. Sometimes I would see her mouth twitch slightly towards me as if she were getting ready to smile. Sometimes she'd nod her head in hello, or sometimes she'd catch my eye for about ten seconds and turn around.

I think we're somehow getting somewhere.

"What'd you do now, Tristan?" I heard her say to him.

I didn't hear a reply as I made my way into the garage. Joseph was out in front helping Gabriel. Gabe was fixing a part on his car, which I didn't really see the point of because they barely used them.
There was still snow all over the ground outside so fixing the car right now wasn't really a big help.

"How's it going?" I asked as I sat beside Joseph on the bench.

"He's getting there," He chuckled.

Gabriel laughed from underneath the car. "I'm getting nowhere. I never got the hang of fixing human cars."

As they bantered my phone started to ring. I picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hello sweetheart," A sweet familiar voice said that I hadn't heard in weeks.

I smiled to myself. "Hey mom you're calling me early. How are you?"

"I'm good thank you, and how are you? I feel like I haven't seen you in years."

I stood up and walked down the hall toward the living room. "I'm fine. Yeah I know. I'm sorry I've been so busy..." I trailed off.

"Too busy to see us, huh?" She laughed but it was a sad laugh. It made me frown. I've missed my mom and dad. Anthony wasn't coming home until next week with Eliza for Christmas. I really wanted to go home just for a day to see how everyone was doing. But with everything going on right now, I doubted they would let me go.

"I'm sorry mom. I've wanted to come and see you but... I've never really had the time."

She sighed. "It's fine sweetheart. As long as you're safe with Gabriel and his family. I miss you."

"I miss you too." I said with clenched teeth. "Love you,"

"Love you too. You're father loves you too." We stayed on the phone for a while longer talking about how work was for her and how Anthony was back in Florida. My dad had been home a lot more because of the weather and the fact that he kept calling work saying that he was staying at home to stay with mom. I found it adorable that my dad was even capable of such cuteness.
Mom had been working away from her building because the storm blew out her company's power station and probably wouldn't be fixing it for another month or so.