Chapter 2

Driving down Roxbury lane, the bald cypress trees are swaying with a calming sense of tranquility. Seeing those beautiful trees seems to ease my paranoia as my body fills with the dawning tone of tenacity. I haven't been on this street since I was a toddler I believe. At least that's what my mother used to tell me when we would take long tedious drives around town at daybreak and stop at my Aunts Lalaine's for a visit. I spot her eccentric bungalow with the adress 2894 engraved on the fresh white paneling beside her door. I turn into her dirt driveway to see her screen door cracked. I get out of my blue 4-door Jeep and begin walking up the three concrete stairs onto the wooden porch. I spot two black woven patio chairs equipped with plush red pillows with white starfish designs stitched on the cushions.

Without even knocking, my aunt answers the door with a strained look on her face. She appears to have gained some weight since the last time I saw her. But how could I tell? I haven't seen her in ages. Then of course that's what happens to most people when you haven't seen them but as far as I can remember, she was a little bit toner. "My sweet niece, what brings you by today? I haven't seen that pretty skin of yours since you were a little thing." Her voice sounds a little hoarse. I swear I smell cigar smoke permeating in the house. "My mother's missing. I can't seem to find her anywhere. I even checked throughout the house. No sign of her. Do you have any idea on where she could be?" I think she noticed that my voice was beginning to crack. "Ohh, Lord, well why don't you come on in and we'll figure somethin' out." I begin to step over the threshold into the house. The cigar smell hit me in the face as it's fumes were so strong. I felt the fumes trying to trigger a cough out of me. I held my breath as a defense mechanism. "Well why don't ya come 'n' sit down here and I'll bring you some fresh iced tea and then we'll talk. A minute later she walks back into the living room with a tall glass of ice tea with a bright yellow lemon perched on the rim. "Here ya go." "Thanks" I say with uneasiness while slightly shaking the glass to reflect it. "I couldn't find her anywhere. I really don't know anywhere else she might be. I'm sure you know how mother is. She'd never tell you when or where she'd go without writing it on a sticky note. Which is true and I didn't see a note anywhere around the house. Usually it would be on the fridge door like any other stereotypical mother would put it.

Crossing her dark bronze arms and legs she sighed and said "Well I think it's time you'd know the truth."