six

.

.

mia

.

.

  After making our way through a colossal amount of traffic in New York City, Harry and I had finally made it to the port that would take us to the Statue of Liberty. Everything felt completely surreal as I sat next to him in the passenger side of the trailer, gazing up at the sight in front of us.

  "This is crazy." I gaped. "Are we really doing this?"

  "Too late to back out now." Harry grinned. "Now come on, we've got a ferry to catch."

  I grabbed my small purse and threw a water bottle inside it, because I knew I would need it after climbing all of those stairs. I was basically the opposite of athletic, so I wasn't sure if I was going to survive all of this stair climbing. If I happened to die, at least I would be dying with Harry Styles by my side.

  The parking lot next to the water was almost completely empty. Since Harry had basically reserved the whole place for us, it was literally a ghost town. I followed behind him as we made our way to a dock that had a small boat floating next to it in the water, waiting for us to board.

  "Have you ever been here?" Harry asked.

  "Never." I admitted. "My fear of heights keeps me from doing a lot of stuff like this."

  "So what's changed then?" He laughed. "Are you suddenly unafraid of heights?"

  "Actually, that's the opposite of what I'm feeling right now." I said uneasily. "But, when life presents you with opportunities you have to take them. Even if it means I might throw up when we get to the top."

  "I'll remember to bring a bucket with us." Harry teased. "I'm sure you'll be fine, Mia. If you can ditch your own wedding, you can definitely climb a few stairs."

"A few?" I asked. "More like 354."

  "Did you Google that?" He asked.

  "Sure did." I smiled. "It's gonna take us a half an hour to get up to that crown. My body could barely take jogging for ten minutes each day in my high school gym class."

  "Don't worry, we'll take our time." He assured me. I nodded.

  We finally got to the port, where some staff members were sitting around. They all wore bright smiles on their faces, smiles which would have been wiped away if it weren't for Harry Styles standing in front of them. The captain of the small bat approached Harry and shook his hand, exchanging a few words with him as I tried to mentally prepare myself for facing the extreme heights.

  "Before we set off, I just need the both of you to read over these forms and then sign your names at the bottom. This is just a safety precaution and basically states that we aren't liable for any injuries that may come to you today."

  "Injuries?" I squeaked.

  "Don't worry ma'am, just a safety precaution." The older gentleman chuckled. He was probably making fun of me in his mind, but I was absolutely terrified. I pictured a giant earthquake coming through right when I was at the top, causing the whole Statue of Liberty to fall down with me inside it.

  "She's just a bit nervous." Harry reassured him. He signed his signature (or should I call it autograph?) at the bottom of the paper and so did I. His looked flawless compared to mine, but he also had more practice at it than I.

  We walked onto the ferry and sat down beside each other in two leather seats. It took a few moments for the captain to start the engines, but in no time we were off- speeding towards the Statue of Liberty.