27. You don't have my permission to lose your V card

"We said it was forever and then it slipped away."

-Final Masquerade, Linkin Park.

Chapter Twenty-Seven.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you," they all sang while I stood awkwardly in front of a big cake, "Happy birthday, Jules. Happy birthday to you!"

"Blow them out!" Jordan encouraged while I bent over and blew the candles.

Everyone started clapping and then made a line to give me a hug. After the river, we were too exhausted to do anything else so we came back to the cabin and decided to sing my happy birthday officially. I had no idea they had a cake and all which looked delicious by the way, it had chocolate everywhere. The only bad thing about it? It had several strawberries on the top.

Mrs. Strawberry.

My poor heart clenched at the thought of him. I didn't even allow myself to think of his name, it was just too painful. I didn't want to go there, it was my birthday and my friends made an effort to prepare something really nice for me. I wasn't going to ruin it with my moping and sad smiles. There would be plenty of time for that, I was sure.  

We were eating cake, sitting in a circle on the floor. Apparently, we'd gotten used to sit on the ground since the bonfire. Timidly, Nadia approached me.

"I bought something for you," she said with a smile.

I was surprised, "Oh, you didn't have to."

"I kind of wanted to, well, we both did. I mean, me and Nash."

"You really didn't have to." Nadia extended her hand with a small box. I took it nervously.

"What is it?"

"Check it out." She said enthusiastically. I opened the box and there were a pair of beautiful golden earrings and a necklace with my name on the pendant. The jewelry screamed expensive at the top of its lungs.

"Oh, Nadia, this is too much. It looks expensive, you didn't have to spend so much money on me."

"Money is not something Nash and I have to worry about so let's us spoil you." She grinned at me, "So do you like it?"

"I love it."

"Do you want me to help you put it on?" subconsciously, my hand reached up to the strawberry pendant hanging from my necklace. Another clench for my broken heart. Grasping some courage, I took it off.

"Yes, it's time to take this one off." I pretended a smile. Nadia put it on while I squeezed the strawberry pendant in my hand. I put it inside my jeans' pockets.

"There," she gave me a quick hug, "Enjoy it."

"Welcome to the eighteens," Lau joined us, a big smile on her face. She pretended to have a microphone in her hand, "How does it feel to be an adult, Ms. Jones?" she asked in her best journalist tone.

"Oh, it feels great, my dear." I replied with a polite tone.

Jason crawled closer to us, "You're finally legal to-"

Lau covered his mouth, "to drive, right?"

I frowned, "I am legal to drive since I was sixteen."

"Oh really?" Lau asked, releasing Jason's mouth.

"That was not what I was going to say," Jason protested.

Lau slapped the back of his head, "Just shut up."

"Ow! What is with you two and slapping my head?"

"We're hoping we can slap your brain cells back to work," Lau finished with a small smile.