Chapter 2 Part 2

February 2013

I flip open the magazine and run my finger along the beautiful photograph of roses tied with a bright white ribbon. "Do you think pink would be a terrible choice? I feel like it's been done a million times." I lean back and cross my feet at my ankles, propping them up on the small ottoman in my apartment. Abby peeks out from behind a different bridal magazine and pops a bubble in her gum.

"I've always liked pink. It's classic-it would never go out of style." She shrugs her shoulders and tosses her magazine beside my feet. "Just don't make it obnoxious. A little hint of pink here and there is nice, but having your wedding look like Hello Kitty threw up all over it is not cute." She reaches for another magazine from the stack.

"My mother chose pink for her wedding," I mention, knowing she will understand the significance. She knows how much I long to make decisions that would make my mother proud. It's so important to me that it almost cost me my relationship with Jackson.

"Then you should have pink. It will be perfect." Another pop of her gum sounds as she thumbs through the glossy print and finds the page I've marked. "You have to decide soon or we won't be able to get our dresses in time." Abby is going to be my maid of honor and she is trying so hard to help me make my wedding day as perfect as I've dreamed.

"Okay, I think it will be pink. I'll mix some soft, light shades with a few vibrant ones and then add another strong color to even the whole thing out. Let's go with the deep shade for your dresses." I set the magazine back down on the pile.

"Done. Now what's left?" she asks, leaning forward and resting her elbows on her knees.

"Jackson is showing me one of his family's hotels today at lunch. He thinks it would be a great spot for the ceremony and reception, although he doesn't understand why I don't want to get married in one of my family's facilities. It doesn't matter to him where we do it, just as long as I say 'I do.'"

"Let me guess-you like the idea of forcing your dad and your brothers to spend time at a Rider hotel, don't you?" Abby shakes her head and smiles.

I can't help but smile back. "Who, me? Anyway, he's meeting me there in an hour. He needed to grab a shower after the gym." Abby scrunches up her nose at the thought of a sweaty Jackson, and quickly changes the subject.

"I'll call the bridal shop and get a few swatches of fabric so you can pick your shade and then I'll tell the girls to put in their orders. You need to call the planner and let her set up a time to meet with the florist. I'll handle the bakery. I know you said vanilla with buttercream frosting, but once you choose your color I'll run it over to them so they can plan the flowers for the cake." Abby is a powerhouse when it comes to making plans and I'm so grateful she's helping me get this wedding together so quickly.

She stands up and grabs her purse. "Oh, we should get together in a few weeks to do the table arrangements and you need to decide what songs you want for walking in and for your first dance." With her words my heart beats quicker, excited that the day is really coming. "Go put the deposit on the hotel and then let the planner know you're ready to do the food tasting."

I wrap my arms around her and pull her to me. There are many days in my life that I miss having my mother. My wedding makes her absence so conspicuous that lately I've been wondering if I even want to do anything big or if Abby and Kyle had the right idea when they slipped off to get married in Vegas. "Thanks, Abby." I feel her nod against my shoulder.

An hour later I find myself in the lobby of a beautiful hotel downtown. I'm waiting at the reception desk for the coordinator to appear when strong, familiar arms encircle my waist from behind, pulling me back against a hard chest. I close my eyes and lean my head back when Jackson's scruff brushes against my cheek. "I missed you," he confesses low into my ear.

"I missed you, too," I agree as I turn around to face him. "I love this place. Is this your favorite location in California or do you have others you want me to see?" I put a little space between us so he can focus on my question.

"I think it doesn't matter which hotel we choose." He reaches for my hand and pulls me back to him, chuckling at the look of protest on my face. He presses a small kiss to my lips. "Everyone is going to be looking at you, my beautiful bride. I doubt anyone will remember any other details." I love him so much it almost hurts. Moving up to my tiptoes, I kiss him passionately, not caring who might see or disapprove of our PDA.

"Mr. Rider and the future Mrs. Rider," a professional sounding voice calls sweetly from behind me. I turn around to see a young woman dressed in a suit, carrying a clipboard and a walkie-talkie. I extend a hand and shake hers; Jackson does the same. "I'm Fiona and I'll be showing you around. Not that you need it, of course, Mr. Rider."

Jackson nods in acknowledgment and for the next hour, we follow her around the hotel, checking out all of the amenities and the various locations we can hold the ceremony on the property. Jackson holds my hand as we walk and points out a few highlights, but he's more interested in sneaking small kisses every time Fiona has her back to us. She talks on and on about carpet and flower options and gazebo decorations, and by the time we return to the front desk I have realized that Jackson is right. It doesn't matter where we say our vows, the important thing is saying them.

"So what do you think?" Fiona asks, looking to us both.

"Is it available the first week in April?" I ask, causing Fiona to smile a large, satisfied smile.

"Of course. I will make sure it's available for any date and time you need. Have your planner get in touch with me and we'll handle the rest." She smiles at Jackson and reaches out and shakes each of our hands again before dropping the clipboard to her side. "Are there any other questions you have for me?"

I shake my head, but Jackson speaks up. "Yes, actually. Can we please book the honeymoon suite?"

"Of course," she replies. "I'll arrange to have it ready for you a few hours before the ceremony. We can have special-"

"No. I mean I'd like to book it for right now." Jackson wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me tightly against him. Fiona's brows pull together in question for a brief second and then it dawns on her what his plans are.

"I'll get you a key," she states as her cheeks flush.

When she turns to discuss it with the receptionist behind the counter Jackson leans in close and lets his warm breath sweep over my ear. "You didn't think I'd let you leave here without testing out the most exciting part of the venue, did you?"

***Please remember to vote and share if you enjoyed the chapter!***