Poached Eggs And Honesty

• Dedicated to Caroline Smart

13 February 2013

Is it valentines day today? I haven't bought a card, the shops are full of teddies carrying hearts and ties that my boyfriend would never wear. We tend to communicate through cooking for each other these days.

Sven makes beautiful wagamamas style stews with pat choi and chicken and miso soup. Unfortunately he leaves the kitchen in a bit of a mess afterwards.

14 February

I start my job in the new cafe in town today. It is next door to the department store "Jeffrey and Jackson" where I used to work as a teenager. I used to work in the haberdashery department selling silk scarves to posh ladies, and posh ladies husbands. They'd used to tell me about how they used to play bridge and plant lots of bedding plants in the flower beds of their front gardens.

15 February

I have just come home from the cafe. The lady I work for is called Gina and she wears a black suit. We have lots of cupcakes for sale, and coffee cake, date and walnut cake and breakfast pancakes.

Today a man came in and offered to sketch our cakes for us, he did the sketches in black ink, and we are going to put them on our menus and our website.