Gifted Little Creatures

I am Maya, Goddess of the Moon, and I am grounded.

What that means, apparently, is I cannot leave the house. No checking my phone, no going online, no television. The words themselves ("grounded," "not allowed," "forbidden") mean nothing to me, but I am letting the woman ("Mom") who sees herself in charge of this mortal form believe otherwise.

I am feeling benevolent lately.

It wouldn't be so bad to stay home for a week, actually. This mortal form's social schedule is unrelentingly social; her only time alone practically is when she sleeps (and sometimes, not even). I matriculate in a higher learning institution majoring in business, run student government, organize at least one weekend soiree per month, am actively involved in a dozen or more different circles of friendship, save stray animals.

It would be nice to take a breath.

"Mom" is angry. My relationship with this woman is more volatile than those I've had with previous caretakers of my mortal form, when I've taken mortal form. Hair color, height, index finger circumference -- these details change, but some things cannot help but remain the same. The Goddess is always beautiful, always adored, always somewhat feared. Previous incarnations of "mom" knew how to handle this, knew to let this mortal form do as she wished. This one was not so accepting of her role in the greater scheme of things. "Mom" this time is Angela Castillo y Gerardo, and though to any bystander her life would seem enviable and easy, the truth is more complicated.

She hates her daughter.

Maybe it's that simple.

It is envy, and I recognize it, and in fact saw it in those eyes early on. As a goddess I can do something about it, of course; that is something Bathala will tolerate, if only to help retain some sort of harmony during this particular stay among the mortals. But I am also intrigued by this, and curious to see how long it needs to gnaw at "Mom's" soul before desperation sets in.

In any case, it is the first day of my detention, and I intend to sleep. That is not to say that I haven't anything planned. There is a solar eclipse today. A good day to set things in motion. 

*** 

Too soon after the war I fought against my brother the sun, our father came to see me.

I didn't want to talk to him, but he does as he pleases. I understand where Apo and I get it from.

"You are recovering well," he said.

I don't speak for a long time. My father likes words, likes to hear them, likes to compare combinations of them, likes the weight of them in the air. It is why he asks for praise despite being able to command it.

I don't speak because I am still mad at him, and I know that I can show it by withholding my words.

He waits, but I don't give him the satisfaction. I reach for a speck of light floating between us and take my sweet time attaching it to my hair.

I could do this forever.

"There is the matter of your sister," he said, finally.

Tala of the stars. The coward.

He winces, and I know he has heard my thought.

"Now that you and Apo have divided the kingdom, I asked her where she wants to be. And she says she wants to be with you."

Yeah right. Like she was any help to me when I challenged my brother to the right to rule. And when he actually fought me for what should have been mine. She said nothing because she was waiting for a victor, and now that it's a draw she wants half of what's mine?