Part 1 - Linda

SCENE 1 — LINDA in the kitchen.

[LINDA, a British-born woman in her early forties, is sitting at her kitchen table. She is crying.  It is early evening, and quiet

LINDA: Well... that's life I suppose.  Could be worse.  Hah!  That's what my old mum used to say.  Could be worse, she'd say, wiping the blood off her face and putting her blouse in to soak... as soon as the old bugger had fallen asleep... or gone back to the pub.  Could be worse...  Yeah, an' it could be a bloody sight better, ma.  A bloody sight better!

Funny, y'know.  I used to think that I would just grow up an' leave all that behind.  It was only him.  Me dad.  There's only one like him I thought...  But there aint. First thing I did when I grew up was meet Brian.  It was quite a thing then, getting one of the blokes from the pipeline project. 

They were on good money, better than the local lads in the yards.  And he was Canadian, and smoked foreign cigarettes.  God, to think I fell for an accent and the price of a decent night out.

We used to go to Wally's Restaurant, twice a week, maybe three times. Before I met Brian I'd only been there for me mum and dad's twenty-fifth.  And it took me mum two months to pay for that.  Vera Parker said "If it was me being taken to Wally's every Friday and Saturday I'd 'ave 'im down that church aisle, Linda, before that bloody pipeline's finished."

So I did.  Married the bastard when I was seventeen.

After the pipeline job finished he brought me to Canada. To a rented townhouse, his bloody miserable parents, another couple o'lushes... and a recession for welders. 

We had our Sheila soon after.  And before we'd got a highchair borrowed for her our Jason arrived.

Hah!  I almost said they were happy days.  But they bloody weren't.  I never wanted much, maybe a good night out for some drinks, and some peace and quiet at home.  But when you're paying for two kids in diapers there's only one of you gets to go out.  And it isn't the one who's got a baby hanging from a nipple. Peace and quiet doesn't last long round here either.

I used to think it would get better.  But it never did.  Always broke.  Always behind.  And 'im.  The pig.

[Fade to BLACK, SFX - short music excerpt to indicate passage of time]

[SFX - AM radio playing quietly in background]

Young Tracy, that's Peggy's daughter who used to babysit for us once or twice, she was talking to me in the grocery store last week.  Says we should save up and go to this bachelor auction they're having down at Duke's hotel next month.  She says we'd get one each.  She says "I don't care how old he is, Linda, as long as he's got money and he's good in bed."  I said I don't care what else he does in bed, Tracy, he'll be good as long as he doesn't fart.

Tracy's been married for must be ten years now.  He works for the government.  Done very well really, I knew she would, sensible girl.  They bought a rancher just across from the golf course.  Very sensible couple... drive a Volvo. 

She says "Y'know Linda, when I think of the price of everything these days, I feel sorry for the young folk just getting married.  I'd hate to be trying to save enough for a downpayment.  Imagine having to start out from scratch these days. And some young girls are renting places and setting up on their own, imagine!"  I thought to meself, by god, Tracy, I wouldn't mind.

[she picks a cigarette pack up off the table then screws it up]

The bastard!  Took me last bloody smoke.  The greedy bastard!  Could be worse.  I'm gonna pack it in anyway.