Chapter 3

Chapter 3

-Melissa-

Melissa looked at her phone and bit her lip after seeing a couple of missed calls from Zayn—they weren’t missed calls; she purposely ignored them. Melissa sat down on the couch and groaned; within the past week Layla turned 14, and had decided that she was going to make Melissa call Zayn. Melissa had told her no—multiple times.

“Mel, come on. Just call him back! What’s the worst thing that can happen?” Layla had asked her after Melissa gave her the journal with the letters from the guys. Melissa had just merely shrugged her off.

“I don’t want to call him.” She had argued, ending the discussion. Melissa sighed heavily and she heard her phone go off. She grabbed her phone and didn’t even look at who it was, she just answered. “Hello?” Melissa asked, getting up and walking to the kitchen.

“Melissa?” Melissa stopped walking and raised an eyebrow.

“Harry?” She heard him chuckle in confirmation and she continued into the Kitchen. “What’s up?” Melissa asked, rummaging through the refrigerator for something to drink. Harry sighed.

“Zayn’s going crazy,” Melissa rolled her eyes. “I can hear you rolling your eyes. Seriously though, he’s going insane. Why aren’t you answering his calls?” She narrowed her eyes after grabbing a bottle of water.

“Who says I’m getting calls?” She asked, walking back to the living room and lying down on the couch. “Maybe my phone’s just being a bitch and not letting him through.” Harry scoffed.

“Please. We all know that’s not the case.” Melissa groaned and covered her face with her free hand.

“Maybe I just don’t want to talk to him.”

“Look, Melissa, I know I have no right to tell you what to do—or who to talk to, but please, for the sake of everyone: call him.” Melissa sighed and nodded.

“Fine,” She muttered huffing. “But I’m only doing this so he doesn’t bother you all.”

“Thank you, Mel.” Harry said before hanging the phone up. Melissa rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, yeah,” She muttered, going through the missed calls on her phone. Melissa’s finger hovered over the ‘call’ button when she came across Zayn’s name. Right as she was about to press call, Layla came bouncing down the stairs.

“Hiya, sis,” Layla greeted as she was skipping into the living room. “Where’s mom?” Melissa shrugged and sighed.

“Who knows,” She quickly pressed the call button before she could change her mind and placed the phone at her ear, holding it there. Melissa drummed her fingers against the side of the couch and hummed, waiting for him to pick up. She heard someone clear their throat before answering.

“Hello?” The voice said.

“Hi, Zayn…” Melissa said, trailing off. Layla widened her eyes and quickly moved in front of Melissa. She heard some shuffling and a bit of whispering.

“Melissa?” Zayn was grinning, she could hear it.

“Yeah, Melissa,” She sighed lightly. “I just saw your calls,” Melissa bit her lip lightly as Layla narrowed her eyes. “Was there anything you needed?”

”Be quiet,” She heard Zayn hiss to someone, he coughed lightly. “No, I just wanted to see if you wanted to hang out before we left. We leave in two days.” Melissa rolled her eyes.