Chapter 33 - Just A Scratch

"Are you sick, sweetie?" Mom's voice is comforting even through the phone.

"No, Mom," I answer as I watch the torrential rain take away the dryness of the landscape. It has been days after the last ice melted, and it's officially spring season now, yet it's raining heavily, and the skies have turned murky and dull.

"You sound weak and lonely. Is Hunter treating you well?"

"He is, Mom. It's just that I miss you and Dad."

He even bought this excessively huge house with half a dozen housemaids and a battalion of security guards scattered all over the area.

"How about you and Dad? How is he? How is Colombia?"

Mom is obviously very keen to detect the melancholy in my voice. I'm as miserable as the weather. If only I could cry and wail like the thunderstorm, I would, just to free myself from all these conflicting emotions.

"George is coping well. He got a private doctor here. We really have to thank Hunter Stone for this." I could tell Mom is very satisfied with the arrangement. "Everything's just right here. I only wish you could come and be with us, sweetie."

"Soon, Mom."

But I don't know when that soon is. Right now, I just want to get rid of these unwanted feelings for Hunter and stay focused with my goal—to leave his side without compromising anyone. I am not thinking of running away, though, cause if I do, it's my parents' lives at stake. Hunter will do everything to find me, and what better way to draw me in than to use my parents as the bait?

"I heard there's a storm in there. Is everything okay, Angel?"

"Everything is okay, Mom. It's a strong one, but I will make it through."

I hear Mom chuckle.

"I know you will."

"Kiss Dad for me, will you?"

"I will. He's currently enjoying the night breeze. Hunter's house is near the sea. You'll see the most wonderful things on earth here."

I wish I could visualize in my mind the delicate scenery Mom is telling me. I could only think about the sunny weather, the deep blue crystal water, the strong, huge waves, the powdery white sand that feels like silk in my feet, and the smell of nature.

But thoughts of Hunter plague my head the whole day and is still lurking in my mind until now.

When I woke up this morning, he's already left. He's gone to fulfill his duty to Will.

Guilt is eating me up for not stopping him last night. I should have not let myself be overcome by my feelings. I should have stayed true on telling him off to stay away from Will. I should have just told him that even if he would not listen to me. It might have somehow lessened the guilt I am bearing today.

Now, I have no idea where he could be.

I can only wish to see his car pulling in on the car park and Hunter running through the rain, but that won't be happening anytime soon, I guess. There's no sign of him returning home soon, and I can only wait in vain and gaze at the pouring rain through my wide open window.

"I'll call you again tomorrow, Mom."

"Okay. Good night, sweetheart."

"Good night, mom."

It's ten minutes past eleven. I've been waiting for Hunter for three hours since Mom called. Ruth, the housemaid, has already called me for dinner thrice, but I lack the appetite to eat. The rain has slowly subsided, and the sky seems to have calmed a bit.