Delphiniums

(Note: Characters are left unnamed. They are referred to as either "1" or "2".)

Set 1913. Mid-afternoon in 2's garden. It's springtime and much of the garden is in bloom. 1 and 2 sit on a porch.

1: My friend, your face is pale. Are you well?

Pause

1: Just a moment ago your complexion matched this setting quite nicely. The blue of the sky complimented the warm undertones of your skin.

2: Must you analyze me?

1: No, but I like to understand what I'm looking at.

2: I suppose that's alright. But for your information, I am quite well. And there is nothing wrong with my face.

1: Well, not anymore. For about five seconds you looked quite ill.

2: You counted the seconds?

1: No, I didn't. I estimated about five seconds.

2: Well, you sounded quite sure.

1: I did not count the seconds.

2: Yes, I know.

Pause

1: You look very well against the sky, but the bush to your left does not flatter you.

2: And what would you have me do about that?

1: Nothing. It's the bush's fault for not flattering you.

2: Now you're being rather harsh to it. We'll share the blame, me and the bush.

1: Very well.

Pause

1: You know what would really look lovely here?

2: What?

1: Some delphiniums. You know, I saw a fantastic selection of flowers at the market yesterday.

2: Did you?

1: Yes, I just said I did. Anyway, I recommend that you go see for yourself sometime. I recall a few varieties that would fit marvelously here.

2: Do you not like my garden in its current state?

1: What? Why do you ask?

2: You recommend that I buy more flowers for it as if it is in desperate need of improvement.

1: I would not use the word desperate. But, anything can be improved upon.

2: Well, I like my garden as it is and I don't believe I'll be changing it.

Pause

1: You may be right. Once something is worked to perfection, it often loses some of its original appeal.

2: That wasn't exactly the point I was trying to make.

1: Well, what was your point?

2: Oh, never mind that.

Pause

2: What were those flowers you mentioned before? Delphinems?

1: Delphiniums. Yes, they can grow to be quite tall if you care for them properly.

2: And I presume you would know how to do that.

1: Of course, my friend.

Pause

2: And are you going to tell me?

1: Not unless you plan on planting some.

2: What? Why not?