5: Tattoo

There's no relief outside the bar, no break in the sea of people. The cover of darkness is non-existent with the lights shining from the bars along the square. I try and repress the tears by breathing in the night air, but it is humid, sticky and thick, and I only choke on it-that and my humiliation.

I reach for my phone as I weave through the groups of people waiting to get into the bar, but my fingers freeze on the screen. I can't call Rose, that'll only prove what he said.

"Brook, wait," my friend's voice breaks out behind me and I pause, turning to locate her in the crowd. She slips through a wall of people and stops in front of me, confusion swirling in her eyes. "What are you doing? Why did you just leave like that?"

"I-" My voice cracks and I take a breath, but it sounds like a sniffle. I will myself to stop, to stop being so pathetic, but that only makes it harder.

"Hey," She reaches one arm out to my shoulder and rubs. "What's wrong? Did your mom text back?" She pulls me into her tiny, but tight, embrace. "It's okay to go out, she'll get over it."

"It's not that." I pull away and swipe at the tears that were stupid enough to fall. "Kyle..." I lift my hand to the bar, unable to form what Kyle had said.

"He's a jerk, everyone knows it. Ignore him." She smiles, one of those tight-lipped smiles that scream pity and grabs my hand. "Lets go clean up and go back in. Don't let him bother you."

"No." I plant my feet, not following as she steps away. "It's more than him being a jerk."

"Brook, come on." She pleads, impatience slipping in to her tone. "This is my last night to spend with TJ before he's gone all weekend. Just stay a little bit longer."

"They don't want me around. TJ's friends were tasked with keeping me away from you two."

Her head tilts and eyes scrunch in puzzlement. "What are you talking about?"

"The whole reason Andrew paid attention to me last night was so TJ could get you alone, and then tonight that was supposed to be Kyle's job, but like you said, he's a jerk, so he just cut straight to it and told me." Or maybe he's just the only honest one.

She scratches her nails through her purple locks, pulling the strands over one shoulder as she looks back at the bar. "That doesn't make sense." She turns back to me, denying it all with a stubborn shake of her head. "Kyle's just being an ass. I've already told TJ I would spend the night with him tonight."

That snaps me out of my own head, and I focus on my friend. There's an excitement brightening her lovely eyes, but there's also a nervous twitch to her smile.

"Wow. You two are getting serious?"

"I'm just making some good memories." She shrugs one shoulder. "The team has a reputation for more than just winning games. I know what this is. But I'll take him, while I got him." There's an echo of sadness in her words, betraying her careless act.

"Oh."

"Come on, let's go in and talk to TJ. I bet Kyle's full of it." She smiles a genuine smile and steps towards me.

"No. I'm going to go. I'm over tonight. Even if Kyle is lying, I still made a fool of myself in there, crying in front of him." I blow out my frustration, I wish I hadn't cried, but I've never really had control of that.

"I'll leave with you, let me just go get my things and say bye." The way she sighs hurts. She's just as annoyed with me as the boys were.

I try to give her a smile, since she's clearly willing to sacrifice her fun night for me. "You don't need to leave. Stay if you want. I've got homework to do anyways."