Chapter 1

Chapter one

Before I start this is not a fairy tale. Even though I used to to try to make it one but in truth I am no princess. I have dirty blonde hair that flops just over my shoulders, I tried to curl it with no luck so straightened it instead. My eyes are a swirl of greeny, blue staring around at the ever changing surroundings, never staying to long at one thing. Looking round every corner for them. I suppose some people would think they were my friends because I spent so much time with them, little did they know that when they turned their back.....

Also I don't live in a castle, in fact I live in a council flat in a giant tower block estate. Dark clouds hang over the whole place permanently and the smell of smoke is unescapable. So much so some of the little kids around here even got cigarettes off they're brothers and sisters and some even their parents. I hated it here, part of the reason I made my own personal world. It didn't really have a name but it certainly wasn't anything like the real world, was it? It was where I could escape to, where dragons roamed about the land and fairies flew through the air dipping and diving from droplets of water and I WAS their princess and I DID live in a castle and I could float the day away on a cloud. One thing I didn't have though was a prince.

I had him in real life though I just wasn't his princess, I still love him though and I swear when I see him it's like everything goes in slow-mo. Okay that's cheesy but its true! I remember how whenever he's embarrassed he scratches the back of his head and his honey blonde hair shakes a bit. Yes that's how slow! I'll stare into his eyes and then he'll catch me looking and stares back, then afterwards I'll wonder again and again if it means he likes me too or just thinks I'm weird or if my smoky eye makeup is smudged or my reddish lipstick was on my teeth. Yes I know that makeup sounds weird but it suits me.... or so I'm told. By the one person who knows everything about me and understands me more than anyone, I could trust her with anything... almost anything. That person is my mum, when things got really bad at school I would snuggle up to her on the rough leather sofa, she wouldn't pry anything out of me, though I knew my bruises horryified her, instead she would sit and stroke my ashy blonde hair while I listened intently to the same lullabye

sweet, sweet innocent child won't you look up and open your eyes

the stars will fall and rest on your head and wipe away your endless dread

the sun will shine and show you the way  to tell me your secret

to pull it away

sweet, sweet innocent child won't you look up and open your eyes

the stars will fall and rest on your head and wipe away your endless dread

why won't you look at me

the sun will shine and you will be free

It calmed me, it made me think maybe I could get out of this rut, if only opening my eyes was the way out! It was like I was stuck in a dream, no a nightmare I couldn't escape. I pulled at the edges trying to slipi away but this was more than just unconsciousness this was reality, this was much worse. My thoughts started all pooling together in my mind, I could feel a headache coming and pressed my fingers to my temple. Urgggh this was the last thing I needed, instead of giving in to this new found pain I collapsed into my bed and resorted to visit my land. Even now I could feel the familiar smile spread across my face.

The glass reflection frightened me for a moment then remembered I was in my chambers. I smiled now happy with how I looked here with long flowing golden curls hanging right to my waist. I had to say I was beautiful, no one could doubt that here. My crown lay in the corner of my dresser, just where I had left it. I carefully placed it on my curls then changed into a a deep red gown and descended to the grand ornate staircase, fingering the smooth gold, wanting it so desperatly to be real.....

Damn, this keeps happening, I fall out of the dream too soon... to.. soon. I let out a sigh and stretch my arms out wide. I knew there was no point trying to go back into my dream but couldn't find the strenth inside to lift me up. I knew why though, it was the pointlessness of it all , mum was at work  a lot and dad had left when I was three. All I had done before trying to enter my dream again was go up and down our tiny damp hallway in our horrible DINGY FLAT! I hated it, at that moment in time I hated it. It imprisoned me and I hated that. I thought about going to the shop , you know to help mum out a bit. I grabbed my jacket and was just about at the door when something by the window caught my eye. I instantly froze then slowly crept  to the window, they couldn't of followed me all the way to my flat? but I was sure I'd seen a flash of black material, it was thin though! To thin to be a jacket, I tried to reassure myself that. My fear was soon overpowered by my raging curiousity.

I stepped closer and peered round the frame of the window. Shocked I snapped back into the position I'd been in. Waiting for my heart rate to go back to normal then the relief coursed into my body and a wide grin spread across my face, it had just been the strap on an umbrella. My arms spread out wide and I twirled lightly across the room, the high ring of my laughter rang all across the room making my smile even more. Finnally I stop, giddy and very, very dizzy . I grab a chair to settle myself then take my jacket once again, I look out the window once again for good measure, then stop and I swear I miss a breath. There by the gate in the front garden is four girls all huddled in a circle, girls I know all to well... I hadn't seen them at first but I hadn't focused on the garden then, I'd been distracted by that stupid umbrella. Quickly I thank the stars once again for not letting my go out there. I now I would have come back a much bruised bloody and mentally upset person than I am now... if I'd come back.

They were getting worse that much was clear, they usually pounced at the gate or during school. The teachers turn a blind eye to them you see they work hard and suck up big time. The worst of them, Penelope is my most horrible teachers daughter, she hates everyone apart from her and her 'friends'  I guess shes a bully herself... but who is her victim. I ponder the thought while frantically pacing up and down on our faded orange carpet desperatley hoping the wouldn't come up. I looked out the window again and saw Penelope staring straight back at  me, shit I cursed. She smirked up at me then pointed me out to her friends, MOVE FROM THE WINDOW I mentally  screamed. They were mocking me now, but they weren't coming towards the building. After what seemed like forever they left, just like that! I know I should be happy but I'm to confused for that. Then it hit me like a brick. They wanted to find my home, I place I feel most safe and take it from me. They didn't want to fight me yet, they wanted to scare me and the suspence was killing me.