1: CRACKED PARADISE

Jaewyn's sword chimed, the shock of its impact ringing out across Skybranch terrace, the sound as bright as the blade itself. She drew back for another blow, blocking her opponent's attack with her shield. There was a flash of golden sparks as the weapon struck the shimmering, dragynscale surface. Jaewyn grinned and pushed back, shouldering the other woman into the grass. Before she could get to her feet, Jaewyn's Phoenix Blade was pointed at her foe's chest. Arielle had a good sword arm, and she was quick. But she relied on the basics too much, never thinking outside the box.

"Good, but not good enough. It might not cross your mind to use defensive equipment like a shield for bashing, but remember you should be ready to use anything at your disposal as a weapon. We Beltharin have not the strength and endurance of the Valhallans or the spells and armour of the Galladorians; we have to rely on our speed, agility and intelligence. Only with these things will we succeed." She sheathed her sword, reached down and helped Arielle to her feet.

"How long did it take you to get into Ember Elite?"

"A full seven months training," Jaewyn replied. "I took the Rite of Starsilver in four hundred and three, and then broke into Ember Elite in four hundred and four. That paid off with the promotion to Blood Maiden two months after taking the Rite of Stargold." The two women walked over to the equipment racks and Jaewyn set down her shield.

"Continue your training with the others. Elindor, come train with Arielle." As the two young Beltharin moved away to begin a new bout of swordplay, Jaewyn accepted a waterskin from a fellow handmaiden. She turned and was suddenly enveloped in a gust of cool wind and a huge, dark shadow that descended toward her. Giant, leathery wings tipped with curved claws blotted out the sunlight, and in a whirl of leaves and scarlet silk the dragyn-bat landed. A familiar figure sat astride the beast. He was clad in sleeveless, cropped, violet silk jerkin, black leather breeches and black leather boots covered in metal studs, buckles, and bat designs. A scarlet cloak was swept back over his slim shoulders.

It was Aefion "Bloodclaw" Arileth, Jaewyn's half-brother.

"Training up recruits, I see," Aefion commented casually, his peridot gaze taking in the one-on-one exercises occurring all across the terrace. The ruby teardrops on Lykoe's harness jingled, and the clunk of Aefion's heavy boots rung out as he stepped down from his mount.

"Hi." Her smile was amiable.

"Morning, sis." His voice was soft, and slightly deep, the low purr of a jungle cat. Aefion leaned against the fence, his eyes sliding sideways towards Jaewyn. "You're looking...fetching."

She grinned in response, knowing sarcasm when she heard it, especially from her brother.

"Thanks, I love being all sweaty and flustered while training new recruits." Jaewyn ran a hand through her mane of blonde hair. "Must be nice cruising around in the cool breeze on your comfy dragyn-bat, wearing your well-ventilated clothing and doing the odd bit of work."

Aefion laughed.

"Ummm excuse me, I've delivered all of two packages today? A crate of orlys fruit and a bottle of Sunlight Special. Carrying that bottle without being able to drink it is hard work."

"Aaand what time did you wake up this morning?" Jaewyn winked at him.

"Well, it was...actually after midday..." Aefion said proudly, "but you know, being a windrunner has its perks. And I need my beauty sleep."

Jaewyn chortled at that.

"So, what are you doing here," she asked him.

"Last night I saw a falling star. It fell into the forest north of here. You might wanna check it out." Aefion's gaze returned to the recruits.